NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR:
Summer 2018 & Winter 2019!!
Thank you for considering our Medical Laboratory Science Program.
The program has 2 starting sequences: late summer (August) and winter (January). Each cohort has a maximum capacity of 8 students. All 8 students who begin the program in the late summer will have both their Core and Non-Core clinical training at Evanston Hospital in Evanston, Illinois. Those who begin their training in the winter will be considered for assignment at any one of our 4 hospitals for the Core clinical training component. Both the Basic Laboratory and the Non-Core clinical training will be at Evanston Hospital. See our program handbook for more details.
The deadline for receipt of applications is November 30 for both program starts; applications received after this date will be considered as time and space allows.
**OUR SUMMER 2017 & WINTER 2018 Course is FULL**
Minimum criteria for consideration of admission to the Medical Laboratory Science Program include:
- Academic Credit Students from Affiliated Universities: Completion of all pre-requisite clinical laboratory science courses required by the university that render a student eligible for a baccalaureate degree at the completion of the clinical program. Post-baccalaureate Students: The baccalaureate degree should include the following:
Grade Point Average: A cumulative grade point average of not less than 2.8 (4 point system) with a cumulative 2.8 in biology and chemistry courses taken.
Immunizations: Upon acceptance, students must also submit proof of immunization to measles, mumps, rubella and varicella and be screened for TB at least 2x in the last 12 months. The Hepatitis B vaccine series is recommended.
Proof of Insurance: Proof of health insurance and professional liability coverage must be received before the first day of the clinical education. The hospital will provide emergency service for a student; charges incurred will be the responsibility of the student.
- 16 semester hours (24 quarter hours) of biological science (with one semester in microbiology)
- 16 semester hours (24 quarter hours) of chemistry (with one semester in organic or biochemistry)
- 1 semester (one quarter) of mathematics
When an application is received, the following procedure is used to process it.
- The application is held until transcripts from all universities attended and two reference letters are received. If the applicant is an international graduate, the external transcript evaluation must also be a part of the student’s file.
- If the grade point average meets minimum requirements, the student is contacted to set up an interview.
- Formal interview with the applicant at Evanston Hospital.
- Utilizing selection criteria, the class is selected and alternate places are assigned by the Admissions Committee.
Once admission eligibility has been established, students are selected using the following criteria:
- Cumulative and science grade point averages
- Reference letters from biology, chemistry and laboratory instructors; letters from employers (supervisors and manager) are also acceptable
- Evaluation of the interview; the form used in scoring is furnished upon request
Admission to the Medical Laboratory Science Program is made without discrimination because of race, color, gender, religion, disability and national or ethnic origin.