Shaping the next generation of leaders in orthopaedic medicine has long distinguished NorthShore University HealthSystem’s Department of Orthopaedics. Our NorthShore Orthopaedic & Spine Institute team plays an essential role in training residents and fellows and preparing them for 21st-century clinical orthopaedic practice.
The comprehensive Adult Reconstruction Fellowship Program, led by Program Director Lalit Puri, MD, MBA Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, offers a broad operative experience. The one-year program, accepting two fellows per year, introduces fellows to the latest innovations in the specialty, including minimally-invasive anterior and posterior approaches to hip arthroplasty as well as robotically-assisted and computer-navigated knee arthroplasty. In addition, the program affords excellent exposure to revision joint arthroplasty, and opportunities for patient-specific instrumentation.
In 2019 NorthShore transformed Skokie Hospital into the Orthopaedic & Spine Institute, launching Illinois’ only hospital dedicated to orthopaedic and spine care. This leading-edge facility centralizes and expands upon the high quality orthopaedic and spine care we deliver—both enhancing patient outcomes and providing an outstanding educational environment for our trainees.
Why NorthShore Orthopaedic & Spine Institute?
A market leader in Chicago for orthopaedic and spine surgery, NorthShore offers unparalleled opportunities to our fellows, including:
- Training in the uniquely innovative care delivery setting of a dedicated orthopaedic and spine specialty hospital featuring 123 inpatient orthopaedic beds
- Working as a member of specialized clinical teams that include expert surgeons, anesthesiologists, nurses and therapists solely focused on musculoskeletal care
- Hands-on clinical experience practicing in a high volume high referral destination center for common to complex orthopaedic and spine cases
- Opportunities to work alongside academic physicians and private practitioners throughout NorthShore’s five-hospital system and outpatient locations in Chicago and the area’s suburban North Shore communities
- Protected time to conduct innovative and collaborative orthopaedic research with the support of the NorthShore Research Institute
- Access to state-of-the-art technology and resources, including surgical simulation training in NorthShore’s Grainger Center for Simulation and Innovation (GCSI)
In recent years, NorthShore’s Adult Reconstruction Fellowship Program has received OMeGA Medical Grant funding. The award supports clinical orthopaedic fellowship and residency programs in all nine orthopaedic subspecialty categories and funds fellow salary and benefits only. The grant allows NorthShore to enhance and sustain the quality of our fellowship program. In 2019-2020, our program was one of 32 in the nation to receive an OMeGA grant.