The University of Chicago (NorthShore) Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery fellowship offers an excellent opportunity for graduates of residencies in obstetrics & gynecology who are interested in pursuing a career in academic urogynecology. This 3-year ACGME-accredited "fellow-centered" fellowship program in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery has both a national and international focus with fellows presenting abstracts at numerous national and international meetings including the ICS, IUGA, AUGS, SGS, SOFU, ACOG, AAGL and AUA. The fellows receive an outstanding clinical, surgical and academic education. NorthShore urogynecologists work closely with the Division of Colorectal Surgery, Minimally Invasive Surgery and Pelvic Pain, the Department of Urology and the University of Chicago, Section of Gynecology and Reconstructive Surgery in educating the fellows as part of our comprehensive integrated pelvic health center. Fellows act as primary surgeons, primary investigators and first authors on the majority of all activities in the Division. Typically our fellows publish 4-6 articles during their fellowship and many have won recognition for best papers at numerous national and international scientific meetings.
Length: 3 years
Number of Fellows: 3 Fellows (one in each year)
Accreditation: ACGME, Initial Accreditation, July 2012
Fellowship Program Director: Adam Gafni-Kane, MD
Other Degrees or Curricula Offered: Fellows receive support for the Excellence in Clinical Research course. They receive support to attend all national and international meetings where they are presenting.
Candidates must have satisfactorily completed an ACGME-accredited Obstetrics and Gynecology or Urology residency program, or Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC)-accredited residency program located in Canada, passed their boards part 3 and be licensed to practice medicine in the State of Illinois when starting their Fellowship. One fellow is accepted per year.
How to Apply
Applications for fellowship beginning July 1, 2019 must be submitted through ERAS®, an online application service, by March 15, 2018. Fellowship interviews will be held on Wednesday, May 2 and Thursday, May 3, 2018.
All applications through ERAS Fellowships must include:
- ERAS Common Application Form. Describe your activities with professional societies, publications, and any other relevant information about your education or experience. Any information you would put on your curriculum vitae should be included. See ERAS® for Fellowship Applications and Tools for Fellowship Applicants for further guidance.
- Personal statement of professional goals.
- Official transcripts. Official transcripts from each medical school you attended. Provide certified or notarized English translations of documents written in a language other than English.
- Dean's letter/Medical School Performance Evaluation (MSPE).
- Official test transcripts for all applicable examinations (USMLE, LMCC, COMLEX, NBOME, FMGEMS, FLEX, or NBME).
- Valid Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certificate. Required if you graduated from a medical school outside the United States or Canada.
- Three letters of recommendation (LoR) from physicians or faculty members who are thoroughly familiar with your work. At least one letter must be from your residency program director or department chair. LoRs should be sent directly to ERAS® LoR Portal.
For additional information, please contact Jean Singer, Program Coordinator.
Urogynecology: Peter K. Sand, MD, Roger P. Goldberg, MD, Janet Tomezsko, MD, Adam Gafni-Kane, MD, Karen Sasso, RN, APN, MSN, CCCN
Colorectal: James Spitz, MD
Urology: Peter Colegrove, MD
Minimally Invasive Surgery/Pelvic Pain: Sangeeta Senapati, MD
University of Chicago, Section of Gynecology and Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery: Sandra Valaitis, MD, Dianne Glass, MD, Shilpa Iyer, MD, Juraj Letko, MD, Laura Fetzer, RN, APN
Fellowship Program Director:
Adam Gafni-Kane, MD
NorthShore Center for Pelvic Health
9650 Gross Point Rd., 3rd Floor
Skokie, IL 60076
Fellowship Program Coordinator:
NorthShore University HealthSystem
2650 Ridge Ave.
Walgreen Bldg., Ste. 1507
Evanston, IL 60201