NorthShore University HealthSystem, in conjunction with Loyola University and Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, is recruiting for a 1-year, postgraduate, advanced practice fellowship program for NPs and PAs in emergency medicine. This intensive program offers advanced training in hands-on clinical care through the use of traditional teaching methods, but also the use of our innovative simulation center and cutting-edge informatics. Along with emergency medicine, the program places an emphasis on multi-disciplinary learning and communication. All fellows will work under the direct mentorship of national leaders in emergency medicine and simulation-based education.
Upon completion, advanced practice fellows will have acquired specialized skills and knowledge allowing them to provide the highest caliber of emergency medical care to patients.
There are currently two benefited fellowship positions available. Each year we will accept 1 NP and 1 PA into the program.
- Susan Bednar, APN
Pamela Walsh, PA-C
Alison Ruiz, PA-C
- Julia Peterson, APN
- Jennifer Chamberlin, APN
- Anamaria Castro, PA-C
- Provide fellows with a strong knowledge base in advanced practice emergency clinical care, including assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of children and adults
- Provide formative evaluation and assess the proficiency of fellows in emergency medicine skills and procedures
- Cultivate effective communication and collaboration with other members of the emergency care team in intense and critical settings
Overview of Curriculum
- Weekly lectures/case presentations
- Case-based or procedural simulation training
- Monthly MD resident conference
- Monthly ED case review presentations
- Podcast Review
- LLSA Article Review
Clinical Training (Some opportunities may be postponed or canceled depending on the COVID-19 pandemic)
The majority of clinical hours will be spent training in the NorthShore University HealthSystem Emergency Departments along with exposure to specialty services, including:
- Poison center
- Critical care
- Mission Trip
- OSF Flight Experience
- Must have graduated from an accredited NP/PA program
- Graduates must have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Must be NP/PA certified or certification eligible by June 2022
- Must be willing to relocate to the Chicago-land area for the duration of the fellowship
- Licensed to treat both pediatric and adult patients
How To Apply
We will be accepting applications starting on January 2, 2023. The application should include the following items:
- Please submit a photo of yourself with the application
- Official transcripts from your undergraduate and NP/PA programs
- Three letters of recommendation (sent directly from the authors). We will not accept letters of recommendation submitted directly by the applicant.
- If you are a current student graduating in May: you must include one letter from a preceptor in emergency medicine and one letter from your program director
- If you are currently working as an advanced practice provider: you must include one letter from your supervisor and one letter from a peer
- An official copy of your board certification sent directly from the certifying body
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- A "video" personal statement explaining why you are choosing to apply to this program, including strengths you possess and knowledge you are looking to gain along with your professional goals.
The application deadline is March 27, 2023.
Once applications have been received, they will be reviewed and interviews will be offered to those selected.
For More Information
Please contact Alison Ruiz MS, PA-C or Pam Walsh, MS PA-C at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send the application component via email or mail to the address listed below.
Alison Ruiz, PA-C
Emergency Medicine Department
NorthShore University HealthSystem
2650 Ridge Ave.
Evanston, IL. 60201
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Do I need to fill out a formal application to apply for the program?
A: No, there is no formal application form. Submit the items listed on the webpage via email or mail to the address listed above
Q: Do my letters of recommendation need to be submitted directly from the author of the letter?
A: Yes. Please have the authors send the letters directly via email or mail to the address listed above
Q: How many fellows get accepted per year?
A: Two fellows per year
Q: Does the fellowship program have a waitlist for applicants if not initially accepted?
Q: When does the fellowship year begin?
A: The fellowship will start at the beginning of October every year
Q: When would I need to graduate in order to apply for the fellowship program?
A: The spring prior to the fall start date. i.e fellowship start date Oct 2019, must graduate spring 2019 or sooner.
Q: What is a video personal statement?
A: In lieu of writing a 1-page personal statement, please provide a video of yourself explaining why you think you would be the right choice for our program and what strengths you bring to the program.