NorthShore University HealthSystem, in conjunction with Loyola University and Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, is recruiting for a 1-year, post graduate, advanced practice fellowship program for NPs and PAs in emergency medicine. This intensive program offers advanced training in hands-on clinical care through the use traditional teaching methods, but also the use of our innovative simulation center and cutting edge informatics. Along with emergency medicine, the program places an emphasis on multi-disciplinary learning and communication. All fellows will work under the direct mentorship of national leaders in emergency medicine and simulation-based education.
Upon completion, advanced practice fellows will have acquired specialized skills and knowledge allowing them to provide the highest caliber of emergency medical care to patients.
There are currently two benefited fellowship positions available. Each year we will accept 1 NP and 1 PA into the program.
- Joanna Davidson, MD
Susan Bednar, NP
Pamela Walsh, PA-C
Alison Ruiz, PA-C
- Jeffrey Graff, MD, FACEP
2016 - 2017 Fellows
- Jessica Memmel, APN
- Marcy Spalsbury, PA-C
- Provide fellows with a strong knowledge base in advanced practice emergency clinical care, including assessment, diagnosis and treatment of children and adults
- Provide formative evaluation and assess proficiency of fellows in emergency medicine skills and procedures
- Cultivate effective communication and collaboration with other members of the emergency care team in intense and critical settings
Overview of Curriculum
- Weekly lectures/case presentations
- Case based or procedural simulation training
- Monthly MD resident conference
- Monthly ED case review
- Mission Trip
The majority of clinical hours will be spent training in the NorthShore University HealthSystem Emergency Departments along with exposure to specialty services, including:
- Poison center
- Critical care
- Must have graduated from an accredited NP/PA program
- Graduates must have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Must be NP/PA certified or certification eligible by June 2017
- Must be willing to relocate to the Chicago-land area for the duration of the fellowship
- Licensed to treat both pediatric and adult patients
How To Apply
We will be accepting applications starting in January 2, 2017.
- The application deadline is March 24, 2017.
- Official transcripts from your undergraduate and NP/PA programs
- Three letters of recommendation
- If you are a current student graduating in May: you must include one letter from a preceptor in emergency medicine and one letter from your program director
- If you are currently working as an advanced practice provider: you must include one letter from your supervisor and one letter from a peer
- Official copy of your board certification sent directly from the certifying body
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- A personal statement explaining why you are choosing to apply to this program, including strengths you possess and knowledge you are looking to gain along with your professional goals. Please limit responses to one page.
Once applications have been received, they will be reviewed and interviews will be offered to those selected.
For More Information
Alison Ruiz, PA-C
Emergency Medicine Department
NorthShore University HealthSystem
2650 Ridge Ave.
Evanston, IL. 60201