Prior to Surgery | Day of Surgery/Post Surgery | For More Information
The team at the NorthShore Orthopaedic & Spine Institute continues to work toward providing patients with minimally invasive treatment options that allow them to return to their lives in a shorter amount of time. For qualified patients, our team now offers the option for outpatient (same day discharge) hip and knee replacement surgery. With this procedure, patients return home just hours after their surgery, as opposed to spending 2-3 days recovering in the hospital. This procedure, revolutionary within the past decade, has shown to:
- Limit the use of opioids
- Decrease pain during recovery
- Allow for more rapid recovery
- Have excellent long term results
Dr. Ravi Bashyal, a NorthShore orthopaedic surgeon specializing in minimally invasive hip and knee replacement, and the Director of Outpatient Hip and Knee Joint Replacement Surgery at NorthShore, leads this program along with a collaborative team of specialized, fellowship-trained experts. The total joint replacement surgery, is minimally invasive, using cutting-edge computer and robot-assisted technology and specialized tools that tailor the surgery specifically to each patient’s individual anatomy
The procedure is followed by rest in a designated rapid recovery area, and then time in a special post-op recovery room with therapy equipment. After a few sessions with a physical therapist, patients return home just hours after their procedure.
To ensure that patients have a successful recovery outside of the hospital, our multidisciplinary team offers support before, during and after the day of surgery:
Prior to Surgery
- A week prior to treatment, a member of our home health team visits the patient’s home to assist with in-home setup for recovery and practice exercises to start encouraging muscle memory.
- Patients and caregivers attend a total joint replacement class to learn more about the procedure and recovery process.
Day of Surgery/Post Surgery
- A home health professional visits the home on the day of surgery and for seven days post surgery, to make sure patients are adjusted and safe. In addition, patients are provided with a number to a 24/7 nurse who can contact the surgeon in case of questions or emergencies.
- Patients have a follow up appointment with their surgeon within the first two to three weeks after surgery.
As our team sees continued success, increased patient satisfaction and reduced recovery times with the procedure, we continue to support research studies to find ways to continue to ensure safe and consistent patient outcomes.
Outpatient total joint replacement requires an extensive level of personal commitment; our surgeons only recommend the procedure to patients who meet certain requirements, such as:
- Good general health (no significant health concerns)
- Healthy weight
- A support system or coach (someone to assist throughout the process)
- A motivated attitude
For More Information
If you are interested in learning more about outpatient total joint replacement surgery, or would like to know if you qualify, please call 855.929.0100 or fill out the consultation request form.