Skip to Content

Chronic Tendinopathy

Chronic tendinopathy refers to long term inflammation (tendinitis) and damage (tendinosis) of the tendons that connect muscles and bones, mostly due to overuse. More than 20 million Americans have some form of tendinopathy, including:

Chronic Tendinopathy Symptoms and Diagnosis

Pain and stiffness are common in 90% of the cases of acute tendinopathy, and can be resolved with a combination of rest, ice, anti-inflammatories and steroid injections. Chronic tendinopathy occurs in the other 10% of patients, who have pain and discomfort for more than 6 months, with symptoms including:

  • Pain worsened during use, in the morning or at night
  • Stiffness
  • Loss of strength
  • Affected area may be red, swollen, warm or tender

To diagnose the condition, your primary care or referring physician will perform a physician exam and ask you about your medical history. They may also ask you to demonstrate how you use the affected area. It is important to note any previous injuries, as well as physical activities you perform on a regular basis.

Your physician may request image testing such as an X-ray, MRI or ultrasound to better examine the affected area.

Treatment Options for Chronic Tendinopathy

When rest, over-the-counter medication and light exercise are not reliving you of your pain, our interventional radiologists can provide a minimally invasive outpatient procedure to reduce your symptoms. Under ultrasound guidance, your interventional radiologist can insert a small needle and use high-energy ultrasound technology to break up and remove scar tissue within the chronically inflamed tendon. You will be able return to your regular physical activities within 2-3 weeks after a period of rest.

Our interventional radiology team uses advanced techniques to treat chronic tendinopathy including:

For More Information

To schedule an appointment with one of our interventional radiologists, please call 847.570.2160.