Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Division of Gynecological Pain and Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Undergraduate: BA, Psychology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN.
- Medical School: MD, University of Alabama School of Medicine, Birmingham, AL.
- Residency: OB/GYN, Prentice Women’s Hospital, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL.
- Fellowship: Advanced Gynecologic Surgery, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC.
Research and Academic Interests
Dr. Tu's current research focus is in the field of female pelvic pain disorders, where he is funded by an NIH/NIDDK R01 grant to study how uterine pain (dysmenorrhea) may influence the risk of developing chronic daily pelvic pain conditions, such as painful bladder syndrome/interstitial cystitis. He is also a co-investigator on an NIH/NIDDK multisite grant, Multidisciplinary Approach to Pelvic Pain. Other sources of funded have included an NIH/NICHD K23 career development award, NorthShore University HealthSystem, the Berlex Foundation, and the Alumnae of Northwestern University. He also studies surgical epidemiology and surgical education innovations.
Besides publishing papers and book chapters, and conducting research on female pelvic pain conditions, he has conducted numerous workshops on these disorders at national and international scientific meetings. He has served as a reviewer for NIH grants as well as a peer reviewer for several international projects. He is the 2014 President of the International Pain Society.
Honors and Awards
- (1992) Phi Beta Kappa
- (1997) Alpha Omega Alpha
- (2005) The Berlex Scholar Award, The Berlex Foundation
- (2007) America’s Top Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- (2008) Who’s Who in America
- (2010) Highest ranked poster in category, ACOG Annual Clinical Meeting
- (2013) Castle Connolly Top Doctor
- (2013) Award for best presentation in category, AAGL Global Congress, Washington, DC
- (2013) Award for best poster, International Pelvic Pain Society (also 2006, 2009, 2010)
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- American College of Surgeons
- Fellow, American Board of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- International Association for the Study of Pain
- American Pain Society
- AAGL (formerly) American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists