The Center for Pelvic Health is committed to helping educate future physicians. Our department offers the following fellowship opportunity:
Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery
Description: The University of Chicago (NorthShore) Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery fellowship offers an excellent opportunity for graduates of residencies in obstetrics & gynecology who are interested in pursuing a career in academic urogynecology. This 3-year accredited "fellow-centered" fellowship program in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery has both a national and international focus with fellows presenting abstracts at numerous national and international meetings including the ICS, IUGA, AUGS, SGS, SUFU, ACOG, and AUA. The fellows receive outstanding clinical, surgical and academic education. Four attending urogynecologists work closely with the Division of Colorectal Surgery, and the Department of Urology in educating the fellows as part of our comprehensive integrated pelvic health center. Fellows act as primary surgeons, primary investigators and first authors on the majority of all activities in the Division. Typically our fellows publish 4-6 articles during their fellowship and many have won recognition for best papers at numerous national and international scientific meetings.
Other Degrees or Curricula Offered: Fellows receive support for clinical research courses. They receive support to attend all national and international meetings where they are presenting.
Length: 3 years
Number of Fellows: 3 Fellows (one in each year)
Accreditation: ACGME, Initial Accreditation, July 2012
Fellowship Program Director: Roger Goldberg, MD, MPH
Other Degrees or Curricula Offered: Fellows receive support for the Excellence in Clinical Research course. They receive support to attend all national and international meetings where they are presenting.
Eligibility: Candidates must have satisfactorily completed an ACGME-accredited Obstetrics and Gynecology or Urology residency program, or Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC)-accredited residency program located in Canada, passed their boards part 3 and be licensed to practice medicine in the State of Illinois when starting their Fellowship. One fellow is accepted per year.
How to Apply
Applications for fellowship beginning July 1, 2021, must be submitted through ERAS®, an online application service, by March 1, 2020.
All applications through ERAS Fellowships must include:
- ERAS Common Application Form. Describe your activities with professional societies, publications, and any other relevant information about your education or experience. Any information you would put on your curriculum vitae should be included. See ERAS® for Fellowship Applications and Tools for Fellowship Applicants for further guidance.
- Personal statement of professional goals.
- Official transcripts. Official transcripts from each medical school you attended. Provide certified or notarized English translations of documents written in a language other than English.
- Dean's letter/Medical School Performance Evaluation (MSPE).
- Official test transcripts for all applicable examinations (USMLE, LMCC, COMLEX, NBOME, FMGEMS, FLEX, or NBME).
- Valid Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certificate. Required if you graduated from a medical school outside the United States or Canada.
- Three letters of recommendation (LoR) from physicians or faculty members who are thoroughly familiar with your work. At least one letter must be from your residency program director or department chair. LoRs should be sent directly to ERAS® LoR Portal.
Urogynecology: Sonia Dutta, MD, Adam Gafni-Kane, MD, Roger P. Goldberg, MD, MPH
Colorectal: James Spitz, MD
Urology: Peter Colegrove, MD
The University of Chicago, Section of Gynecology and Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery: Sandra Valaitis, MD, Dianne Glass, MD, Shilpa Iyer, MD, Juraj Letko, MD, Laura Fetzer, RN, APN
Fellowship Program Director:
Roger Goldberg, MD, MPH
NorthShore Center for Pelvic Health
9650 Gross Point Rd., 3rd Floor
Skokie, IL 60076