Symptoms of urinary urgency, frequency, and urgency urinary incontinence (leaking urinary with an urge before reaching the bathroom) are typically caused by bladder muscle spasms. These spasms result in the bladder squeezing at times when it should not, which can place considerable strain on your quality of life.
- Frequent daytime or nighttime urination
- Urinary urgency
- Urgency urinary incontinence
- Bladder irritation or pain
- Nocturnal enuresis (leaking urine in your sleep)
- Dribbling urine after urinating
- Feeling of not being able to completely empty your bladder when you urinate
Diagnosis and Treatment
Your NorthShore specialist will ask about your medical history and conduct a thorough neurological and pelvic exam. The Center for Pelvic Health offers an array of advanced diagnostic tests that can conveniently be performed in the office, including complex cystometry and multichannel urodynamics.
The Center offers numerous treatment options for overactive bladder:
- Dietary and behavior modification
- Kegel exercises for suppressing urinary urgency
- Botox injections
- Posterior tibial nerve stimulation (“acupuncture for the bladder”)
- Sacral neuromodulation (the “bladder pacemaker”)
For More Information
To schedule an appointment with one of our specialists, please call 224.251.CFPH (2374).