« Previous Page
Note: If a chemical has been
swallowed that may be a poison or may cause burning in
the throat and
esophagus, call your local Poison Control Center or the National Poison Control Hotline (1-800-222-1222) immediately for information on treatment. When you call
the Poison Control Center, have the chemical container with you, so you can
read the content label to the Poison Control staff member. The Poison Control
Center can help determine what steps to take next.
Most chemical burns
of the skin are treated first by rinsing (flushing) the chemical off your body
with a large amount of room temperature water, but not all chemicals are
treated this way. It is important to treat the burn correctly to avoid further
Hydrofluoric acid is flushed with a large amount of water and treated with calcium gluconate. You need immediate medical care.
burns are made worse if rinsed (flushed) with water.
The most important first aid for a chemical in the eye is to immediately flush the substance out
with large amounts of water to reduce the chance of serious eye damage. For any
chemical burn to the eye, see the topic Burns to the Eye.
evaluation by your doctor is necessary, take the chemical
container with you.
ByHealthwise StaffPrimary Medical ReviewerWilliam H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency MedicineAdam Husney, MD - Family MedicineKathleen Romito, MD - Family MedicineSpecialist Medical ReviewerH. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency MedicineMartin J. Gabica, MD - Family Medicine
Current as ofMarch 20, 2017
Current as of:
March 20, 2017
William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine
& Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine & Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine & H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine & Martin J. Gabica, MD - Family Medicine
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2017 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.