Extraordinary Care Close To Home
NorthShore’s Aortic Program specialists tackle all types of aortic conditions. From the common to complex, we offer advanced care not found in all centers. Everyday our experts perform leading-edge aortic procedures. And our clinical trials provide immediate access to the latest surgical options. Providing convenient world class care, we tailor treatment to your individual needs.
Pioneering minimally-invasive endovascular techniques, our experts are experienced in repairing aortic diseases from inside the blood vessel. This revolutionary approach especially benefits high-risk patients unable to undergo traditional open surgery.
Together, our experienced team works closely with you every step of the way in your care.
What Are Aorta Diseases?
The largest blood vessel in the body, the aorta carries oxygen-rich blood from the heart to other parts of the body. Many conditions can affect the aorta and be potentially life-threatening. The most common are aneurysms, when the aortic wall bulges like a balloon or tears.
Conditions We Treat
- Aortic aneurysm
- Abdominal aorta, thoracic aorta, aortic arch, iliac arteries, visceral arteries
- Aortic dissection
- Penetrating aortic ulcer
- Aortic intramural hematoma
- Traumatic aortic transection (aortic rupture)
- Inherited aortic diseases—Such as Marfan syndrome and Loeys-Dietz syndrome
- Inflammatory and infectious aortic diseases
Individualized Treatment Options
Depending on your aortic disease, your comprehensive treatment plan may incorporate one or all of the following approaches:
- Medical monitoring
- Surgical repair
- Open aortic surgery
- Endovascular aortic repair (EVAR)
- Close and regular follow-up care
Advanced Complex Aortic Surgery
The specialists in our Aortic Program have particular expertise in the newest way to repair the aorta: endovascular aortic repair (EVAR). A minimally-invasive procedure, EVAR involves the use of stent grafts to support the damaged section of the aorta and in the case of aneurysms, prevent them from rupturing. Made of metal mesh tube covered with fabric, stent grafts strengthen the arterial wall while allowing blood to flow through. Less invasive than open surgery, EVAR results in shorter hospital stays, less pain and faster recovery times.
Each of us has our own unique arterial anatomy. The innovative stent grafts used in EVAR procedures for aneurysms are custom made and personalized to each patient. Using sophisticated 3D software, our specialists carefully take measurements and conduct detailed pre-operative planning for each EVAR procedure they perform to ensure your safety and optimize your outcomes.
Our Minimally-Invasive Aortic EVAR Procedures
- Fenestrated endovascular aortic repair (FEVAR) for repairing (using a stent graft) thoracoabdominal or complex abdominal aortic aneurysms located close to the branching arteries of the aorta.
- Thoracic endovascular aortic repair (TEVAR) for repairing (using a stent graft) thoracic (chest area) aortic aneurysms.
- Endovascular aortic arch repair for patients (usually due to multiple health conditions) who are considered at high risk for standard of care open surgical repair.
At the NorthShore Cardiovascular Institute, our experienced Aortic Team can offer you the safest and the least invasive treatment options to treat your aortic condition.
Make An Appointment
To schedule an evaluation with a NorthShore Aortic Program physician, please call us at 847.663.8050.
Physicians can refer their patients to the NorthShore Aortic Program at 847.663.8050 or directly to any Aortic Team physician. We are available 24 hours per day, seven days per week to receive emergency referrals from any regional physician or emergency department if an acute syndrome related to the aorta is suspected.