Certified Nurse-Midwives (CNMs) are advanced practice nurses licensed by the State of Illinois. CNMs have post-graduate training in obstetrics and gynecology and have passed the national board-certification exam administered by the American College of Nurse-Midwives.sadas
We are proud to integrate nurse-midwives with board-certified obstetrics and gynecology physicians, to provide you with personalized care and education. They see patients in several offices throughout Lake and Cook counties and deliver babies in our state-of-the-art facilities at Highland Park and Evanston Hospitals. Our Highland Park Hospital Labor and Delivery facility even has alternative birthing concepts rooms, set up specifically for moms who desire a low intervention birth, without an epidural.
Browse midwifery providers
Why Choose a Midwife?
Women of all ages and life stages can find expert obstetric and gynecological care with the Nurse Midwives throughout NorthShore Medical Group. Through an interactive patient philosophy, certified nurse-midwives take time to talk, listen and educate you about preventive health, family medical history, diet and exercise, stress management and complementary treatments.
Our certified nurse midwives pride themselves on developing a partnership with you through a holistic approach to your health and open communication. By treating you as a partner in your health — whether that's the birth of your child or routine women's health care — nurse-midwives foster a supportive and empowering atmosphere.
Choosing a nurse-midwife appeals to women seeking a health provider who:
- Respects pregnancy and birth as a natural part of a woman’s life cycle
- Provides individualized care while encouraging family participation
- Allows time for discussion during office visits and throughout labor
- Encourages a woman to participate in decisions regarding her health and care
- Addresses changes in a woman’s physical and emotional needs during pregnancy, birth and early parenting
- Provides gentle and safe care based on current research and the art of midwifery
- Support the normal birth process, yet has access to medical technology if needed
- Encourages and supports a woman’s choice for vaginal birth after cesarean
- Offers many options for labor relief, in alternative birthing concept rooms with large tubs for hydrotherapy, labor and peanut balls to facilitate movement and ideal positioning of the baby in addition to massage, counter pressure, spinning babies techniques and emotional support
- Embraces a holistic approach which recognizes the contributions of alternative and complementary therapies such as massage, nutritionists, chiropractors, childbirth educators, doulas, acupressure/acupuncture, lactation specialists and others.
Services Provided by Certified Nurse Midwives include:
Wellness Visits/Pap Smears
Family Planning and Birth Control
Pregnancy: Prenatal Through Postpartum
Peri-Menopausal and Menopausal Management
For More Information
To learn more or schedule an appointment, please call 847.570.5020.