Pay a Bill
NorthShore’s online source for timely health and wellness news, inspiring patient stories and tips to lead a healthy life.
By: Lauren McRae
Fire up the grill this weekend and try these juicy, maple-glazed drumsticks. This recipe features a maple Dijon marinade that has a good balance of sweetness and acidity. For full flavor, marinate your drumsticks overnight. Don’t marinate for too long or the acidity from the balsamic vinegar will break down the meat. However, when done correctly it’s a great tenderizer for the meat.
Don’t skip the glaze! This last step adds a last-minute brush of flavor that takes these drumsticks from good to great! Lori Bumbaco, Oncology Dietitian at NorthShore, approves this recipe for a healthy diet.
1. Place the chicken drumsticks in a large Ziploc bag.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the Dijon mustard, maple syrup, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
3. Pour the Dijon mustard mixture over the chicken, seal the bag and massage the chicken until coated with the sauce. Marinate for at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
4. Preheat the grill to medium heat (about 375°F). Lightly coat the grill with cooking spray.
5. Place the chicken drumsticks on the grill and cook until the chicken is just cooked through, turning every 5 minutes, about 20 minutes total.
6. Brush the chicken with the glaze. Cook for 1 minute, brush the other side with the glaze and cook for 1 minute. Serve.
In a small bowl, stir together the Dijon mustard, maple syrup and chili garlic sauce.
Serving size: 1 drumstick
Saturated Fat: 1g
This recipe was adapted from cookincanuck.com.