Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty (ESG) is an endoscopic minimally invasive weight loss procedure, where a commercially available, FDA approved suturing device (Overstitch™) is used to reduce the stomach volume by 80%. This is accomplished by a series of endoscopically placed stitches through the stomach wall. Reducing the volume of your stomach reduces the amount of food and liquid your stomach can hold at one time and helps you to lose weight by taking in fewer calories than your body uses in a day.
Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty means:
- Endoscopic describes the method by which the procedure is performed. Endoscopy means that surgical tools pass through your mouth, and into your stomach. There are no incisions made in your skin.
- Sleeve describes the shape your stomach takes after the procedure is completed.
- Gastro- means stomach.
- -Plasty describes the change in your stomach’s shape as a result of the ESG procedure. The ESG does this by stitching the inside of your stomach to make it smaller, without removing any of your stomach.
What to Expect During an ESG Procedure
The procedure is done under general anesthesia which means you will be asleep during the entire procedure. The procedure is done using a narrow lighted tube called an endoscope, which has surgical tools and a tiny camera on it. It is gently guided down your esophagus and into your stomach. The procedure lasts about 1-2 hours and most people leave the hospital the same day as the procedure, though some may stay overnight for monitoring.
Am I a Good Candidate for the ESG Procedure?
It is necessary to have a Body Mass Index (BMI) above 30 to be eligible for the ESG procedure. Your BMI is a calculation based on your height and weight. In order to determine if this is a good weight loss method for you, our bariatric team take into account among other things; your overall health history, current health problems, past efforts to lose weight and willingness to make long-term lifestyle changes.
Success and Benefits of the ESG Procedure
The ESG procedure, used alongside lifestyle and diet changes, is intended to help you lose weight. Weight loss can help prevent or improve many health problems that are associated with excess body weight, including:
- Type 2 diabetes
- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
- Heart Disease
- Joint Problems
- High Cholesterol
- Sleep Apnea
As with any weight loss treatment, some patients gain weight back. There are many reasons people regain weight. Two of the common reasons are:
- Not following the recommended diet after the procedure.
- Not following the recommended activity guidelines after the procedure.
Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty is only one of the many tools you should anticipate using to improve your health. Physical activity, healthy lifestyle habits, changes in diet, stress management and motivation to make changes are all critical to your success after the ESG procedure.
For More Information
For more information about the ESG procedure or to schedule a consultation with Dr. Ujiki, please call 847.570.1700 and ask to speak with the bariatric team.