Department of Medicine
Division of Hematology/Oncology
- Medical School: MD, Medicine, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL
- Internship: Medicine, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL
- Residency: Medicine, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL
- Fellowship: Medical Oncology, University of Texas Health Science Center
- American College of Physicians
- American Association for Cancer Research
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- NSABP Breast Committee, November, 2001
Publications in Peer-Review Journals:
- Cella D, Eton DT, Lai JS, Peterman A, Merkel DE. Combining anchor and distribution-based methods to derive minimal clinically important differences on the Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy (FACT) anemia and fatigue scales. J Pain Sympton Manage, 2002 Dec, 24(6): 547-61.
- Sener S, Cady B, Merkel D. Primary factor in declining breast cancer mortality rates: Early detection or adjuvant therapy? Cancer Practice 2002, 10:1-3.
- Edgerton SM, Merkel DE, Moore DH, Thor AD. Her-2/neu/Erb B-2 status by immunocytochemistry and FISH: Clonality and progression with recurrence and metastases. 23rd Annual San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, 2001.
- Edgerton SM, Thor AD, Moore D, Merkel D. erb B-2 (HER-2) status by immunohistochemistry and FISH: Clonality and progression. USCAP Annual Meeting, 2001.
- Nicholson BP, Thor A, Goldstein LJ, Gradishar WJ, Merkel DE, Sledge GW. Weekly docetaxol (D) and rhuMAb HER2 (H) Combination therapy as first line therapy for metastatic breast cancer (MBC). Proc ASCO, 2000.
- Hamm J, Merkel D, Mortimer J, Demitrov NV, Devine S, Collins DM, Peppard TE, Baum CM. A Phase II-II study of SC-70935, a novel hematopoietic growth factor with dual receptor agonist activity, demonstrates enhanced neutrophil recovery in advanced breast cancer patients receiving docetaxol. Proc ASCO 1998, 17:76a.
- Clare SE, Sener SF, Wilkens W, Goldschmidt R, Merkel D, Winchester DJ. Prognostic significance of occult lymph node metastases in node-negative breast cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 1997, 4(6):447-51.
- Merkel DE. Adjuvant Systemic Chemotherapy and Hormonal Therapy for Postmenopausal Breast Cancer. Tumor Board Case Management, Winchester DP, et.al(eds). Lippincott-Raven, 1997.
- Merkel DE. Pregnancy and Breast Cancer. Semin Surg Oncol 1996, 12:370-75.
- Schiller JH, Ettinger DS, Larson MM, Gradishar W, Merkel D, Johnson DH. Phase II trial of oral ectoposide plus cisplatin in extensive stage small cell carcinoma of the lung. An Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Study. Eur J Cancer 1994, 30:158-161.
- Merkel DE, Winchester DJ, Goldschmidt RA, August CZ, Wruck DM, Rademaker AW. DNA flow cytometry and pathologic grading as prognostic guides in node negative breast cancer. Cancer 1993, 72:1926-32.
- Hedley DW, Clark DM, Cornelisse CJ, Killander D, Kute T, Merkel DE. Consensus review of the clinical utility of DNA cytometry in carcinoma of the breast. Breast Can Res Treat 1993, 28:55-60.
- Hedley DW, Clark DM, Cornelisse CJ, Killander D, Kute T, Merkel DE. Consensus review of the clinical utility of DNA cytometry in carcinoma of the breast. Report of the DNA Cytometry Consensus Conference. Cytometry 1993:14(5):482-5.
- Raghavan VT, Bloomer WD, Merkel DE. Taxol and radiation recall dermatitis. Lancet 1993, 341:1354.
- Sener SF, Imperato JP, Khandekar JD, Ragin A, Beck J, Merkel DE. Is local control achievable for inflammatory breast cancer? Surg Gynecol Obstet 1992, 175:141-44.
- Merkel DE. S-phase fraction in node-negative breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 1991, 9:1091 (letter).