Finding a primary care physician (PCP), whether that be a family medicine or internal medicine physician, is an important step for managing your health. Your PCP will provide you with the tools and information you need to be healthy and can assist you in times of illness.
Your primary care physician will serve as your long-term healthcare partner and will guide you through both acute and complex medical issues. Ensuring that this person is someone you trust and feel comfortable with when it comes to your personal health needs is essential.
When choosing a physician, many individuals will ask for referrals from family members and friends. We also recommend considering the following when selecting your primary care physician:
- Experience and education, including training and other credentials
- Location and office hours, including availability of weekend, extended hours and walk-in hours
- Personal approach to patient care
- Fluency in your preferred language
- Use of technology, including an integrated electronic medical records system
- Availability to answer questions over phone and email
- Insurance plans accepted