- Since 2009, more than 1,150 patients have benefitted from Be Well-Lake County. There are currently close to 600 active patients.
- It is estimated that 6 percent of Lake County’s adult population has been diagnosed with diabetes.
- About one-third of the 26 million Americans who have diabetes don’t know it (source: American Diabetes Association).
Be Well-Lake County
Be Well-Lake County, a community health initiative committed to providing greater access to comprehensive diabetes care, is a vital asset to hundreds of medically underserved patients with Type 2 diabetes.
The collaborative effort between NorthShore University HealthSystem and the Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center provides disease management, subspecialty care, assistance with medication and testing supplies, on-site Hemoglobin A1C testing, an exercise training component and a community garden. Proper diabetes management is critical, because complications can lead to heart disease, stroke, blindness and kidney disease.
Be Well-Lake County underscores NorthShore’s commitment to reducing health disparities in the community. The program supports a community garden in North Chicago, and community members are invited to volunteer with the upkeep of the garden throughout the summer months.
- Diabetes management for more than 1,050 Be Well patients at the LCHD/CHC North Chicago Health Center and Belvidere Medical Building in Waukegan since inception
- Assistance with medication and testing supplies
- Subspecialty care access for cardiology, ophthalmology, endocrinology, podiatry and nephrology
- On-site Hemoglobin A1c testing
- Diabetes self-management education classes and support group
- Personal trainer program
- Paid membership to a fitness center for those who qualify
- Dental health services to those qualify
- Nutrition education offered by a Registered Dietitian and Certified Diabetes Educator
Julie Krohn, MS, RDN, LDN
Nutrition Services Assistant Coordinator
Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center
2400 Belvidere Road
Waukegan, IL 60085
To make a contribution:
1033 University Place, Ste. 450
Evanston, IL 60201