Kathy A. Mangold, PhD
Department of Pathology
Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory
- Undergraduate: 1978-1982 BS cum laude in Biology (Genetics opt.), Washington State University, Pullman, WA
- Graduate: 1982-1984 MS in Genetics and Cell Biology, Washington State University, Pullman, WA
- Postgraduate: 1984-1990 PhD in Toxicology, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR
- The molecular biology of cancer, utilizing the molecular profile of tumors to develop non-invasive assays for early detection and/or progression to metastatic disease for epithelial neoplasms such as pancreatic and prostate cancer.
- The development and validation of rapid, real-time molecular assays for infectious, genetic, and neoplastic diseases to be utilized immediately in clinical molecular diagnostics laboratories.
Academic and Administrative Appointments
- (2013-present) Director, NorthShore Biospecimen Repository, NorthShore University HealthSystem
- (2013-present) Clinical Associate Professor, Pathology, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine
- (2009-2013) Clinical Assistant Professor, Pathology, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine
- (2000-2009) Research Assistant Professor, Pathology, The Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University
- (1999-present) Research Scientist, Pathology & Laboratory Medicine, NorthShore University HealthSystem
- (1995-1999) Research fellow, Pathology, Medical College of Georgia
- (1990-1994) Postdoctoral fellow, Pathology, Northwestern University Medical School
- (1984-1989) Doctoral research, Toxicology Program, Oregon State University
- (1982-1984) Masters research, Genetics and Cell Biology, Washington State University
- (1981-1982) Undergraduate independent study, Genetics, Washington State University
- (1981-1982) Undergraduate independent study, Zoology, Washington State University
Honors and Awards
- (1990-1993) Individual NRSA Postdoctoral Training Grant
- (1990) NIEHS Toxicology/Pathology Postdoctoral Training Fellowship
- (1988) Pacific Northwest Association of Toxicologists Graduate Student Award
- (1984-1988) NIEHS Toxicology Predoctoral Training Fellowship
- (1982) Association of Research Professors Undergraduate Research Award
- American Association for Cancer Research
- Society for Basic Urologic Research
- Association for Molecular Pathology
Publications in Peer-Review Journals:
- Voss B, Santiano K, Mangold KA, Milano M, and Kaul KL (accepted). Integrity and amplification of nucleic acids from snap-frozen prostate tissues from robotic-assisted laparoscopic and open prostatectomies. Arch Path Lab Med
- Singh K, Mangold KA, Wyant K, Schora DM, Voss B, Kaul KL, Hayden MK, Chundi V, and Peterson LR (2012). Rectal screening for Klebsiella pneumoniae carbapenemases: Comparison of real-time PCR and culture using two selective screening agar plates. J Clin Microbiol 50, 2596-600.
- Mangold KA, Santiano K, Broekman R, Krafft CA, Voss B, Wang V, Hacek DM, Usacheva EA, Thomson RB Jr, Kaul KL, and Peterson LR (2011). Real-time detection of blaKPC in clinical samples and surveillance specimens. J Clin Microbiol 49, 3338-9.
- Kaul KL, Mangold KA, Du H, Pesavento KM, Nawrocki J, and Nowak JA (2010). Influenza A subtyping: seasonal H1N1, H3N2, and the appearance of novel H1N1. J Mol Diagn 12, 664-669.
- Wenzel JJ, Panning M, Kaul KL, Mangold KA, Revell PA, Luna RA, Zepeda H, Perea L, Vazquez-Perez JA, Young S, Rodic-Polic B, Eickmann M, Drosten C, Jilg W, and Reischl U (2010). Analytical performance determination and clinical validation of the novel Roche RealTime Ready Influenza A/H1N1 Detection Set. J Clin Microbiol 48, 3088-3094.
- Zheng X, Todd KM, Yen-Lieberman B, Kaul K, Mangold K, and Shulman ST (2010). Unique finding of a 2009 H1N1 influenza virus-positive clinical sample suggests matrix gene sequence variation. J Clin Microbiol 48, 665-666.
- Mangold KA, Wang V, Weissman SM, Rubinstein WS, and Kaul KL (2010). Detection of BRCA1 and BRCA2 Ashkenazi Jewish founder mutations in formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissues using conventional PCR and heteroduplex/amplicon size differences. J Mol Diagn 12, 20-26.
- Zhang GS, Winter JN, Variakojis D, Reich S, Lissner GS, Bryar P, Regner M, Mangold K, and Kaul K (2007). Lack of an association between Chlamydia psittaci and ocular adnexal lymphoma. Leuk Lymphoma 48, 577-583.
- Mangold KA, Regner M, Tajuddin M, Tajuddin AM, Jennings L, Du H, and Kaul KL (2007). Neisseria species identification assay for the confirmation of Neisseria gonorrhoeae-positive results of the COBAS Amplicor PCR. J Clin Microbiol 45, 1403-1409.
- Barrett JM, Rovedo MA, Tajuddin AM, Jilling T, Macoska, JA MacDonald J, Mangold KA, and Kaul KL (2006). Prostate cancer cells regulate growth and differentiation of bone marrow endothelial cells through TGFß and its receptor, TGFßRII. Prostate, 66: 632-650.
- Mangold KA, Manson RU, Koay ESC, Stephens L, Regner M, Thomson RB Jr, Peterson LR, and Kaul KL (2005). Real-time PCR for the detection and identification of Plasmodium spp. J Clin Microbiol; 43:2435-2440.
- Skow A, Mangold KA, Tajuddin M, Huntington A, Fritz B, Thomson Jr RB, Kaul KL (2005). Species determination of Staphylococcal isolates using real time PCR and melt curve analysis. J Clin Microbiol; 43:2876-2880.
- Barrett JM, Mangold KA, Jilling T, Kaul KL (2005). Bi-directional interactions of prostate cancer cells and bone marrow endothelial cells in three-dimensional culture. Prostate; 64:75-82.
- Chang KW, Lin SL, Mangold KA, Jean MS, Yuan TC, Lin SN, and Chang CS (2000). Alterations of Adenomatous Polyposis Coli (APC) gene in oral squamous cell carcinoma. Int. J. Oral Maxillofacial Surg. 29:223-6.
- Mangold KA, Liang Y, Johnson M, Chandler FW, Lennox KW, Lewis RW, Allsbrook WC Jr, and El Etreby, MF (1998). Enhanced RT-PCR assay for mRNA expression of prostate specific antigen and prostate specific membrane antigen in peripheral blood: Is it reliable? Mol. Urol. 2:29-34.
- Mangold KA, Takahashi H, Brandigi C, Wada T, Wakui S, Furusato M, Chandler FW, Boyd J, and Allsbrook WC Jr (1997). p16 (CDKN2/MTS1) gene deletions are rare in prostatic carcinomas in the United States and Japan. J Urol. 157:1117-20.
- Chang KW, Laconi S, Mangold KA, Hubchak S, and Scarpelli DG (1995). Multiple genetic alterations in hamster pancreatic ductal adenocarcinomas. Cancer Res. 55:2560-8.
- Mangold KA, Hubchak S, Mangino MM, Laconi S, and Scarpelli DG (1994). In vitro carcinogenesis of hamster pancreatic duct cells: cellular and molecular alterations. Carcinogenesis 15:1983-8.
Peer Review Service:
- Reviewer for the Journal of Molecular Diagnostics
- Reviewer for the Journal of Urology
- Reviewer for the American Journal of Pathology