Steven D. Levin, MD
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Undergraduate: BA, Philosophy, minor Biology, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, 1979
- Medical School: MD, Chicago Medical School, North Chicago, IL, 1985
- Internship: General Surgery, Michael Reese Hospital/University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, 1985-1986
- Postgraduate Year 2: General Surgery, St. Luke’s/Roosevelt Hospital, New York, NY, 1986-1987
- Residency: Orthopaedic Surgery, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York, 1989-1993
- Fellowship: Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, Shoulder and Knee Fellowship, The Hughston Clinic, P.C., Columbus, GA, 1993-1994
Dr. Levin is currently involved in 2 biomechanical cadaver studies. The first one involves comparing 2 different biceps tendon biotenodesis techniques. The first technique involves the usage of the biotenodesis screw into the proximal humerus and the second one involves the percutaneous intraarticular tenodesis of the biceps tendon, (PITT). Our theory is that the PITT technique emulates more normal anatomy and we are seeking to prove this via biomechanical means.
The second research project Dr. Levin is involved in is also a cadaver biomechanical project involving the subscapularis tendon. Currently surgeons are making arthroscopic portals right through the tendon. We are concerned that the holes that are left in the tendon may significantly weaken the tendon. Therefore we created a biomechanical cadaver model whereby we will be able to test the stress and strain of the tendon before and after the hole is made in the tendon. This information will enable us to know whether or not making such a portal significantly weakens the tendon.
Both these projects will be carried out downtown with Larry Zhang, Ph.D. Dept. of Biomedical Engineering.
Honors and Awards
- James K. Stack Teaching Award, Teacher of the Year, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, 2007
- Resident's Award Scholarship, Associates Master Instructors, Arthroscopy Association of North America, Rosemont, IL, 1996
- Levin SD, Terry GC. DePuy Sports Medicine Research Grant, Columbus. GA. 1993
- Chief Resident, Erie County Medical Center, Buffalo General Hospital, Buffalo Veterans Administration Hospital, Buffalo, New York, 1992-1993
- Honors Philosophy, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, 1979
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons - Fellow
- American Heart Association - Advanced Cardiac Life Support
- American Medical Soccer Association
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Chicago Medical Society
- Hughston Sports Medicine Society - Active Member
- Illinois State Medical Society
- United States Handball Association
Publications in Peer-Review Journals:
- Flores S, Zhang LQ, Levin SD, Nuber G, Biomechanical Analysis of Partial Thickness Rotator Cuff Tears, Paper #255, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Meeting, San Diego, CA, February 14-18, 2007.
- Levin SD. (Pending publication 2006). Orthopaedic Considerations of Bioterrorism [Book Chapter]. In Leiken J's Medical Aspects of Bioterrorism (McGraw-Hill).
- Levin SD. Shoulder ailments in the handball player - Part I; Instability - Part II, Impingement of the rotator cuff. Handball Magazine, pending.
- Levin SD. Treatment of common knee injuries in the handball player - Part II. Handball Magazine, pending.
- Levin SD, Ameer G & Kang Y. (Ongoing Research. Date of Initiation: March 2005). A composite cell construct for cartilage repair. Arthroscopy Association of North America Research Grant.
- Miranda L, McCluskey GM III & Levin SD. (November 2000). Surgical results of total shoulder arthroplasty for primary arthritis. Hughston Sports Medicine Scientific Bulletin, Volume I.
- Levin SD. (1991). Common knee injuries in the handball player - Part I. Handball Magazine, December 1991.
- Research assistant, Department of Surgery, University of Chicago, 1980. Schraut WH, Rosemurgy AS & Riddell RM. (1983). Prolongation of intestinal allograft survival without immunosuppressive drug therapy. Transplantation of small bowel allografts. Journal of Surgical Research. 34(6):597-607.
- McCluskey III GM & Levin SD. (1995). Chapter 41 - Imaging of the Shoulder [Book Chapter]. In Baker Jr. CL's The Hughston Clinic Sports Medicine Book. Columbus, Georgia: Williams and Wilkins.
- Levin SD. (March 2003). Allograft ACL/Meniscus transplantation in patients with prior meniscectomy, ACL deficiency, and early degenerative arthritis [E-Poster Presentation]. International Society for Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery, and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Meeting, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Levin SD, Xhang LQ, Makhsous M, Lin AF, Koh JL & Nuber GW. (October 2001). Biomechanical analysis of partial rotator cuff tear and its surgical repair [Presentation]. The American Shoulder and Elbow Society Closed Meeting, Denver, Colorado.
- Levin SD. (2001). A retrospective review of ACL and meniscal allograft transplantation in the early degenerative knee [Presentation].
A. "Allografts in Orthopaedic Surgery." The Illinois Orthopaedic Society Meeting, Champaign, Illinois, April 6, 2001.
B. The Hughston Society Annual Scientific Meeting, Columbus, Georgia, June 6-9, 2001.
- Levin SD, Makhsous M, Zhang LQ, Lin F, Hogfors C & Nuber GW. (August 2000). Passive restraining forces by the glenohumeral capsuloligaments [Presentation]. International Shoulder Group Meeting, Newcastle, England.
- McCluskey GM III & Levin SD. (June 1994). Prosthetic replacement for degenerative lesions of the shoulder [Presentation]. Hughston Sports Medicine Scientific Day, Hughston Sports Medicine Clinic, Columbus, Georgia.
- McCluskey GM III & Levin SD. (November 1994). Shoulder prosthetic replacement for primary osteoarthritis [Presentation]. Section on Orthopaedic and Traumatic Surgery, Southern Medical Association's 88th Annual Scientific Assembly, Orlando, Florida.
- Levin SD, Colucci MA, Gillespie R, Brody AS & Asirwatham JS. (1993). Correlation of magnetic resonance imaging with histopathology in direct blunt trauma to the canine femoral condyle: An anterior cruciate ligament tear -Assimilated model.
A. The American Orthopaedic Association 26th Annual Resident's Conference, Seattle, Washington, March 17-20, 1993.
B. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 61st Annual Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana, February 1994.
C. Resident's and Fellow's Arthroscopy Conference, Scottsdale, Arizona, January 1993.
D. Abstract - Orthopaedic Transactions, March 1993.
E. American Journal of Knee Surgery, VII(2), 87-94.
- Levin SD, Wasilewski S & Yablon IG. (October 1988). "First Annual Problem Fractures and New Frontiers in Orthopaedic Surgery" [Presentation]. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Boston, Massachusetts.
A. Problem fractures around total joints.
B. The role of nonoperative treatment of ankle fractures (Orthopaedics Today, Feb/Mar 1989).
- Levin SD & Simon MA. (1985). Chronic hematogenous pyogenic osteomyelitis of the appendicular skeleton [Abstract]. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois.