Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Section Head, Foot & Ankle
- Undergraduate: BS, Honors Biology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MD
- Medical School: MD, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
- Internship: General Surgery, Georgetown University, Washington, DC
- Residency: Orthopaedic Surgery, Georgetown University, Washington, DC
- Fellowship: Foot and Ankle Surgery, Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD
Dr. Haddad has a strong interest in research centering around the advancement of foot and ankle surgery. As a fellow in 1996, Dr. Haddad won the Roger Mann Award, given to the top clinical research paper for that year presented to the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society. This surgical paper, on how to revise complex fusions of the hindfoot, has now become a standard algorithm in treating this condition. Since that time, Dr. Haddad has published work on correcting forefoot deformity, leading to a new surgical approach for correcting lesser toe deformities that is now universally accepted. He has also published work identifying the safe zones of external fixator pin placement about the ankle; limiting infections in patients needed such devices. In addition, Dr. Haddad has created a model to assess the success of fusions and has determined that irrigation during fusion enhances the success rate. Fusion is common in all subspecialties of orthopaedic surgery, and thus this research will have wide-ranging implications in improving patient outcomes.
More recently, Dr. Haddad's research has focused on improving total ankle arthroplasty (replacement). Dr. Haddad is considered one of the leaders in this field in the United States, and has published a variety of papers on this topic. One current project evaluates the contact stresses allied to the prosthesis when component are not appropriately positioned. This project has important implications in determining how ankle replacements fail, and how to prevent failure of the prosthesis. A second recent project has created a new method for ankle ligament reconstruction, which will enhance a surgeon's ability to perform total ankle replacement in ankles with pre-existing severe deformities. At this point in time, this latter problem has precluded total ankle replacement in these individuals, necessitating an ankle fusion. Thus, Dr. Haddad hopes to expand the indications for ankle replacement surgery in these patients, improving function and quality of life for his patients and those around the United States.
Honors and Awards
- James K. Stack Teaching Award, Northwestern University, 2003
- The Roger Mann Award: the outstanding clinical research project to advance foot and ankle surgery in the United States, 1996
- The Roger Michael Award: the outstanding fellowship research effort in the city of Baltimore, 1996
- Phi Beta Kappa, junior and senior years, University of Michigan, 1984 and 1985
- Sigma Xi: scientific research society, 1985
- James B. Angell Scholar, eight terms, University of Michigan, 1981-1985
- Outstanding Thesis Award for 1985, Honors College, University of Michigan
- American Orthopaedic Association
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Diplomat
- The American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- The American Medical Association
- The Illinois Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- The Lake County Orthopaedic Society
- Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society
- Phi Beta Kappa
Publications in Peer-Review Journals:
Weinfeld SB, Haddad SL, Myerson MS. Metatarsal stress fractures. Clin. Sports Med., 16(2):319, 1997.
Haddad SL, Myerson MS, Pell RF, IV: Schon LC. Clinical and radiographic outcome of revision surgery for failed triple arthrodesis. Foot Ankle Int, 18(8):489, 1997.
Haddad SL. Revision Arthrodesis Ankle and Hindfoot. In Foot and Ankle Clinics, W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia, PA. 3(1):51, March, 1998.
Haddad SL, Resch S, Sabbagh, RC, et.al. Correcting and stabilizing the cross-over second toe: Medium-term results of two tendon transfer techniques. Foot Ankle Int, 20(12):781, 1999.
Haddad SL. Metatarsal Osteotomies in the Treatment of Hallux Rigidus. In Foot and Ankle Clinics, W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia, PA, 5(3):629, September, 2000.
Unis D and Haddad SL. Outcomes and Advances in Hindfoot Fractures. In Current Opinion in Orthopaedics, 12(2):93, April, 2001.
Bare A and Haddad SL. Tenosynovitis of the Posterior Tibial Tendon. In Foot and Ankle Clinics, W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia, PA, 6(1):37, March, 2001.
Keefe D and Haddad SL. Subtalar instability: Etiology, diagnosis, and Management. In Foot and Ankle Clinics, W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia, PA, 7(3):577, September, 2002.
Saltzman CL, Amendola A, Haddad SL, et.al. Surgeon Training and Complications in Total Ankle Arthroplasty. Foot Ankle Int, 24(6):514, June, 2003.
Kadakia AR and Haddad SL. Hindfoot Arthrodesis for the Adult Acquired Flat Foot. In Foot and Ankle Clinics, W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia, PA, 8(3):569, September, 2003.
Kadakia AR and Haddad SL. The Role of Ankle Bracing and Taping in the Secondary Prevention of Ankle Sprains in Athletes. In International Sports Med Journal, International Federation of Sports Medicine, Cape Town, South Africa, 4(5).
Kadakia AR and Haddad SL. Ankle and Hindfoot Reconstruction: What's New in Ankle Arthroplasty, Allograft, or Fusion. In Curr Opin Orthop, 15(2):69, April, 2004.
Vora AM, Haddad SL, Kadakia A, et.al. Extracapsular Placement of Distal Tibial Transfixation Wires. JBJS 86-A(5):988, May, 2004.
Hanna R, Haddad SL, Lazarus M. Evaluation of Periprosthetic Lucency after Total Ankle Arthroplasty. Helical CT vs. Conventional Radiography. Foot Ankle Int, Accepted for Publication, January 5th, 2007. FAI-2006-002481R.
Haddad SL, Coetzee C, Estok R, Fahrbach K, Banel D, Nalysnyk L. Intermediate and Long Term Outcomes after Total Ankle Arthroplasty and Ankle Arthrodesis: A Systematic Review of the Literature and Meta-Analysis. JBJS 89-A(9): September, 2007.
- Haddad SL. Hallux rigidus. In Kelikian AS (ed): Operative Surgery of the Foot and Ankle, Chicago, Appleton & Lange, March, 1999.
- Haddad SL. Compressive neuropathies of the foot and ankle. In Myerson MS (ed): Disorders of the Foot and Ankle, New York, W.D. Saunders, September, 1999.
- Schon LC, Haddad SL, Campbell JT. Examination and Differential Diagnosis of the Foot and Ankle for Arthroscopic-Endoscopic Surgery. In Guhl JF, Parisien JS, Boynton MD (eds): Foot and Ankle Arthroscopy, Ed 3, New York, Springer-Verlag, p.39-62, 2004.
- Haddad SL, Bare AB. Section Nine: Foot and Ankle. In Johnson TR, Steinbach LS (eds): Essentials of Musculoskeletal Imaging, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Rosemont, IL, 2004.
- Bare AB, Haddad SL. Nerve Entrapment Syndromes. In Thordarson DB (ed): Foot and Ankle: Orthopaedic Surgery Essentials, Philadelphia, PA, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2004, p. 79-97.
- Haddad SL, Mann RA. Adult Acquired Flatfoot Deformity and Adult Tarsal Coalition. In Coughlin MJ, Mann RA, Saltzman C (eds): Surgery of the Foot and Ankle, Eighth Edition, Philadelphia, PA. Elsevier.
- Haddad SL, Evans BG, Delahay JN and Kenmore PI: Calcar Replacement Hemiarthroplasty vs. Sliding Compression Screw Fixation for Unstable Intertrochanteric Femur Fractures in the Elderly.
- Eastern Orthopaedic Society Annual Meeting in Bermuda, October, 1994.
- AOA Residents Meeting in Pittsburgh, March, 1995.
- AAOS Annual Meeting, Atlanta, February, 1996.
- Haddad SL, Myerson MS, Pell RF, IV, Schon LC: Clinical and radiographic outcome of revision surgery for failed triple arthrodesis. Foot Ankle Int, 18(8):489, 1997.
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society Summer Meeting, June 28th, 1996.
- AOA 110th Annual Meeting in Boca Raton, FL, June 14, 1997.
- Joint Meeting of the Japanese and American Foot and Ankle Societies, Hawaii, November, 1997.
- Haddad SL, Resch S, Sabbagh, RC, Myerson B, Myerson MS: Correcting and stabilizing the cross-over second toe: Medium-term results of two tendon transfer techniques. Foot Ankle Int, 20(12): 781,1999.
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society Summer Meeting, Monterey, CA, July 18, 1997.
- Sclamberg SG, Haddad SL: The Strength of Achilles Tendon Repair: A Comparison of Three Different Suture Techniques.
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting, Dallas, TX, February, 2002.
- Vora AM, Haddad SL, Kadakia A, et.al.: Extracapsular Placement of Distal Tibial Transfixation Wires.
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society Summer Meeting, Seattle, WA, July 30, 2004.
- Orthopaedic Trauma Association Annual Meeting, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, October 7, 2004.
- Kadakia A, Haddad SL, Dedhia S: Deformity Correction in Total Ankle Arthroplasty: Difficulties Encountered and Potential Solutions.
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society Winter Meeting, Chicago, IL, March 25, 2006.
- Haddad SL, Coetzee C, Estok R, Fahrbach K, Banel D, Nalysnyk L: Intermediate and Long Term Outcomes after Total Ankle Arthroplasty and Ankle Arthrodesis: A Systematic Review of the Literature and Meta-Analysis.
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society Summer Meeting, La Hoya, CA, July 14, 2006.
- Templin CR, Haddad SL, Yupeng R, et.al: The Effect of Continuous Irrigation during Burring on Thermal Necrosis and Fusion Strength in a Rabbit Arthrodesis Model.
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, Feb 14-18, 2007. (Poster)
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society Winter Meeting, San Diego, CA, Feb 17, 2007.
- Selective Exposures in Orthopaedic Surgery: The Ankle.
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons CDROM. Angus M. McBryde, Jr., Editor. Rosemont, IL, 2002.
- Total Ankle Arthroplasty
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery, eJBJS Streaming Video, 2004.
- Compartment Syndrome of the Foot
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery, DVD.