Department of Medicine
Division of Gastroenterology
Medical Director, Center for the Study of Complex Diseases
- Undergraduate: BS, Biology, Northeastern Illinois University, Chicago, IL
- Medical School: MD, Chicago Medical School, University Health Sciences, North Chicago, IL
- Internship: University of Illinois Hospital, Chicago, IL
- Residency: Internal Medicine, University of Illinois Hospital, Chicago, IL
- Gastroenterology, Northwestern University School of Medicine, Chicago, IL
- Clinical Pharmacology, Northwestern University School of Medicine, Chicago, IL
Research is primarily directed toward the study of gastrointestinal pharmacology. This involves several different approaches. Recently the toxic effects of several gastrointestinal agents, including biologics and treatment for intestinal motility disorders have been investigated using large databases such as the Adverse Events Reporting System of the Food and Drug Administration. This work has clarified risks of these agents with some suggestions to improve their safety. Other large databases including the Healthcare Cost and Utilization Survey have been used for additional studies. Work has also included the application of dynamic model and computer simulation, techniques successfully employed in business, education and environmental sciences (to name a few). These techniques, particularly using the STELLA program (isee Software, Hanover, NH) are being used by my group to develop a variety of physiologic models related to the GI tract and other organs. For example, we have used STELLA to model colonic levels of 5-aminosalicylic acid (5-ASA), a common treatment used for inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). The model can predict colonic levels of various forms of 5-ASA preparations in patients with both active and quiescent disease. As another example, we have modeled the absorption and elimination of dietary phosphates in patients with chronic renal failure to aid in predicting the effects of pharmacologic, dietary and dialysis methods to alter serum phosphate levels in these patients. In addition, small clinical trials are being conducted to examine novel therapies for radiation injury of the GI tract, mesenteric panniculitis and eventually IBD.
Academic and Administrative Appointments
- Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine, The University of Chicago
Honors and Awards
- BS (magna cum laude), 1981
- Freshman Honor Society, Depaul University, 1976-1977
- Bellinger Memorial Music Scholarship, 1977
- Music Performance Scholarship, Northeastern Illinois University, 1982-1983
- MD, 1985
- John J. Sheinin Research Award, UHS/Chicago Medical School, 1985
- Boehringer-Ingelheim National Pharmacology Award, 1985
- American Academy of Clinical Toxicology Research Award for Young Scientists, 1986
- Ruy V. Lourenco Housestaff Research Award, University of Illinois, 1988
- National Research Service Awards, NIH, 1989-1990
- Chicago Society of Gastroenterology Research Award, 1991
- Alpha Omega Alpha, UHS/Chicago Medical School, 2000
- Fellow, American Gastroenterologic Association
- Member, American College of Gastroenterology FDA Affairs Committee 2010-present
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation (Florida Division), Full Staff 1991-1996
- Assistant Professor of Medicine, The University of Chicago, 1996-1999
- Associate Professor of Medicine, The University of Chicago, 1999-2003
- Adjunct Assistant Professor of Medicine, Rush Presbyterian St. Luke’s Medical Center, 2003-2008
- Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine, The University of Chicago, 2008-present
Publications in Peer-Review Journals:
- Ehrenpreis ED, Sifuentes H, Ehrenpreis J, Smith Z. Suboptimal Voluntary Reporting of Adverse Medical Events to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Adverse Event Reporting System (AERS) by Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants. Expert Opinion Drug Safety 2012 (In Press).
- Parakkal D, Du H, Semer R, Ehrenpreis ED, Guandalini S. Do gastroenterologists adhere to diagnostic and treatment guidleines for celiac disease? J Clin Gastroenterol 2012 Feb;46(2):e12-e20.
- Parakkal D, Sifuentes H, Semer R, Ehrenpreis ED. Hepatosplenic T-cell lymphoma in patients receiving TNF-α inhibitor therapy: expanding the groups at risk. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011 Nov;23(12):1150-6. PMID:21941193
- Ehrenpreis ED, Parakkal D, Semer R, Du H. Renal risks of sodium phosphate tablets for colonoscopy preparation: a review of adverse drug reactions reported to the US Food and Drug Administration. Colorectal Dis. 2011 Sep;13(9):e270-5. PMID:21689347
- Lee KJ, Ehrenpreis ED, Greenberg J, Yang GY, Horowitz J. Mesenteric panniculitis following colonoscopy, polypectomy, and epinephrine injection. Endoscopy. 2010;42 Suppl 2:E44-5. Epub 2010 Feb 15. PMID:20157883
- Ehrenpreis ED. Increased serum phosphate levels and calcium fluxes are seen in smaller individuals after a single dose of sodium phosphate colon cleansing solution: a pharmacokinetic analysis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2009 Jun 1;29(11):1202-11. Epub 2009 Feb 27. PMID:19298584
- Thorpe MP, Ehrenpreis ED, Putt KS, Hannon B. A dynamic model of colonic concentrations of delayed-release 5-aminosalicylic acid (Asacol). Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2009 Jun 1;29(11):1193-201. Epub 2009 Feb 15. PMID:19222409
- Ehrenpreis ED, Rao AS, Aki R, Brown H, Pae T, Boiskin I. Normal Positron Emission Tomography-Computerized Tomogram in a Patient with Apparent Mesenteric Panniculitis: Biopsy Is Still the Answer. Case Rep Gastroenterol. 2009 Apr 29;3(1):131-137. PMID:20651979
- Ehrenpreis ED, Boiskin I, Schaefer K. Chylous ascites in a patient with mesenteric panniculits. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2008 Mar;42(3):327-8. PMID:18223487
- Kinney TP, Shah AG, Rogers BH, Ehrenpreis ED. Retrograde endoscopic delivery of botulinum toxin for anal fissures. Endoscopy. 2006 Jun;38(6):654. PMID:16802277
- Ehrenpreis ED, Jani A, Levitsky J, Ahn J, Hong J. A prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of retinol palmitate (vitamin A) for symptomatic chronic radiation proctopathy. Dis Colon Rectum. 2005 Jan;48(1):1-8. PMID:15690650
- Chi KD, Ehrenpreis ED, Jani AB. Accuracy and reliability of the endoscopic classification of chronic radiation-induced proctopathy using a novel grading method. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2005 Jan;39(1):42-6. PMID:15599209
- Reissman P, Ehrenpreis ED, Cohen S, Nogueras JJ, Zaitman D, Wexner SD. Electrolyte profiles within the ileoanal pouch: measurement by an in vivo equilibrium dialysis technique. Dig Liver Dis. 2003 Apr;35(4):251-5. PMID:12801036
- Levitsky J, Hong JJ, Jani AB, Ehrenpreis ED. Oral vitamin a therapy for a patient with a severely symptomatic postradiation anal ulceration: report of a case. Dis Colon Rectum. 2003 May;46(5):679-82. PMID:12792447
- Ginsburg PM, Ehrenpreis ED. A pilot study of thalidomide for patients with symptomatic mesenteric panniculitis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2002 Dec;16(12):2115-22. PMID:12452945
- Anal and Rectal Diseases : a Concise Manual
Ehrenpreis, Eli; Avital, Shmuel; Singer, Marc (Marc A.).
New York : Springer, c2012.
- The Prescription and Over-the-Counter Drug Guide for Seniors
Ehrenpreis, Seymour; Ehrenpreis, Eli.
New York : McGraw-Hill, c2004.
- Anal and Rectal Diseases Explained
London ; Lincolnshire, IL : Remedica Group, c2003.
- Clinician's Handbook of Prescription Drugs
Ehrenpreis, Seymour; Ehrenpreis, Eli.
New York : McGraw-Hill, Medical Pub. Division, c2001.