About the Health Encyclopedia
Healthwise is a nonprofit organization founded in 1975 with the mission to help people make better health decisions.
Their health encyclopedia, called the Healthwise Knowledgebase, helps you to make health decisions by combining reliable medical facts with your personal feelings. Put more simply: Medical Information + Your Information = Better Health Decisions. By taking an active role in your health, you are likely to be happier with the care you receive and the results you achieve.
Health topics are reviewed and updated on a regular basis. The schedule varies by topic:
- Topics that have ongoing research and rapidly changing treatment, such as Atrial Fibrillation, are reviewed for updates annually.
- Topics that change less frequently, such as Bunions, are reviewed for update every 2 years.
The Healthwise® Knowledgebase holds URAC Health Web Site Accreditation status.
About the Medical Review Board
The Healthwise Medical Review Board includes more than 90 specialists from across the United States and Canada. Members of the Medical Review Board are experts in their specialty area. Many of them have academic appointments at the nation's leading medical schools, are actively involved in research, are practicing medicine, and are published in peer-reviewed journals and medical textbooks. They share the Healthwise commitment to empowering patients with reliable health information and building strong patient-provider relationships.
Healthwise is committed to providing consumers with high-quality health information so that they can make wise decisions with their doctors.
- We will create health information that is in the consumer's best interest.
- We will not allow commercial interests to determine our content.
- We pledge to protect the privacy of individuals using our Web site.
- We strive to provide referenced, frequently updated, evidence-based health information.