Ioannis Koktzoglou, PhD
Department of Radiology
Center for Advanced Imaging
Evanston Hospital, Center for Advanced Imaging
2650 Ridge Ave., Evanston, IL 60201
- Undergraduate: BS, Computer Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Graduate: MS, Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University
- Postgraduate: PhD, Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University
Dr. Koktzoglou’s research interests concern the investigation of MR techniques for magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the cardiovascular system. Current topics of research include MRI of atherosclerotic vascular disease and magnetic resonance angiography.
His research is supported by grants from NorthShore University HealthSystem, the American Heart Association, and The Grainger Foundation.
Honors and Awards
- (2001) Tau Beta Pi, Engineering Honor Society
- (2002) Eta Kappa Nu, Electrical and Computer Engineering Honor Society
- (2003-2006) Dr. John Nicholson Fellowship, Northwestern University
- (2005) Invited Researcher, Nobel Laureate Meetings at Lindau
- (2007) Research Scholar Award, The Auxiliary of NorthShore University HealthSystem
- (2008) Scientist Development Award, American Heart Association
- (2004-2008) Member, International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine
- (2007-2008) Research Associate, Center for Advanced Imaging, NorthShore University HealthSystem
- (2007-present) Professional Staff, Evanston Hospital
- (2007-present) Ad-hoc Reviewer for the Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Radiology, Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, American Journal of Roentgenology, Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance
Publications in Peer-Review Journals:
- I Koktzoglou, KR Harris, R Tang, BJ Kane, B Misselwitz, HJ Weinmann, B Lu, A Nagaraj, SI Roth, TJ Carroll, DD McPherson, and D Li. Gadofluorine-Enhanced Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Carotid Atherosclerosis in Yucatan Miniswine. Investigative Radiology. 2006; 41:299-304.
- I Koktzoglou, YC Chung, V Mani, TJ Carroll, MD Morasch, G Mizsei, OP Simonetti, ZA Fayad, and D Li. Multi-slice Dark-Blood Carotid Artery Wall Imaging: A 1.5T and 3.0T Comparison. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2006; 23:699-705.
- R Dharmakumar, I Koktzoglou, and D Li. Generating Positive Contrast from Off-Resonant Spins with Steady-State Free Precession Magnetic Resonance Imaging: Theory and Proof-of-Principle Experiments. Phys Med Biol. 2006; 51:4201-4215.
- I Koktzoglou and D Li. Diffusion-Prepared Segmented Steady-State Free Precession: Application to 3D Black-Blood Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance of the Thoracic Aorta and Carotid Arteries. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2007; 9:33-42.
- I Koktzoglou, YC Chung, TJ Carroll, MD Morasch, OP Simonetti, and D Li. Three-Dimensional Black-Blood MR Imaging of the Carotid Arteries with Segmented Steady-State Free Precession - Initial Experience. Radiology. 2007; 243:220-228.
- I Koktzoglou and D Li. Sub-Millimeter Isotropic Resolution Carotid Wall MRI with Swallowing Compensation: Imaging Results and Semi-Automated Wall Morphometry. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2007; 25:815-823.
- I Koktzoglou and D Li. Diffusion-prepared segmented steady-state free precession: Application to 3D black-blood cardiovascular magnetic resonance of the thoracic aorta and carotid artery walls. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2007; 9:33-42.
- R Dharmakumar, I Koktzoglou and D Li. Factors influencing fast low angle positive contrast with steady-state free precession (FLAPS) magnetic resonance imaging. Phys Med Biol. 2007; 52:3261-3273.
- I Koktzoglou, D Li and R Dharmakumar. Dephased FLAPS for improved visualization of susceptibility-shifted passive devices for real-time interventional MRI. Phys Med Biol. 2007; 52:N277-N286.
- I Koktzoglou, A Kirpalani, TJ Carroll, D Li D and JC Carr. Dark-blood MRI of the thoracic aorta with 3D diffusion-prepared SSFP: initial clinical evaluation. American Journal of Roentgenology. 2007; 189:966-972.
- R Dharmakumar, I Koktzoglou, and D Li. Off-resonance positive contrast imaging of a passive endomyocardial catheter in swine. Phys Med Biol. 2008; 53:N249-N257.
- I Koktzoglou and RR Edelman. Fast Projective Carotid MR Angiography with Arterial Spin-Labeled Balanced SSFP. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2008; 28:778-82.
- I Koktzoglou and RR Edelman. STAR and STARFIRE for flow-dependent and flow-independent carotid MRA. Magn Reson Med, Jan 2009; 61(1):117-24.
- Edelman RR, Koktzoglou I. Unenhanced, flow-independent MR venography by using signal targeting alternative radiofrequency and flow-independent relaxation enhancement. Radiology: Jan 2009; 250(1):236-45.