« Previous Page
Mold can get into a building through open doorways, windows, vents, and heating and air conditioning systems. Mold in the air outside can also attach itself to clothing, shoes, bags, and pets and can be carried indoors.
Mold will grow in places that have a lot of moisture, such as around leaky roofs, windows, or pipes, or flooded areas. Mold grows well on paper products, cardboard, ceiling tiles, and wood products. Mold can also grow in dust, paints, wallpaper, insulation, drywall, carpet, and fabrics.
Indoor mold (fungus) is very common in humid areas and in homes that
have damp areas such as basements. Mold may trigger asthma symptoms, such as
wheezing or coughing, or another
allergic reaction, such as the rash of
atopic dermatitis or stuffy nose of
allergic rhinitis. Substances that trigger these
reactions are called
Although there is no strong evidence that reducing damp areas in
homes or limiting exposure to them helps reduce
asthma symptoms, taking the following steps may help keep mold out of the house or limit its growth.
Adults spend one-third of their time and children spend half
of their time in their bedrooms, so it is important that you take steps to prevent
allergens in this room.
Health Tools help you make wise health decisions or take action to improve your health.
Other Works Consulted
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2009, updated 2012). Facts about mold and dampness. Available online: http://www.cdc.gov/mold/dampness_facts.htm.
ByHealthwise StaffPrimary Medical ReviewerE. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal MedicineSpecialist Medical ReviewerRohit K Katial, MD - Allergy and Immunology
Current as ofFebruary 20, 2015
Current as of:
February 20, 2015
E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
& Rohit K Katial, MD - Allergy and Immunology
How this information was developed to help you make better health decisions.
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2015 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.