Department of Medicine
Medical Director, Pulmonary Medicine, Glenbrook Hospital
- Undergraduate: BS, Biomedical Engineering, Vanderbilt University
- Medical School: MD, Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine
- Internship: Medicine, Vanderbilt University Hospitals
- Residency: Medicine, University of Pennsylvania Hospital
- Fellowship: Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of Chicago Hospitals and Clinics
Principal Investigator, International Early Lung Cancer Action Project (I-ELCAP) at NorthShore University HealthSystem
Honors and Awards
- Tau Beta Pi, National Engineering Honor Society, 1978
- AOA, 1982
- Individual National Research Service Award, 1987-89
- ALA Trudeau Scholar Award, 1989
- ALA Research Grant, 1989
- The Block Fund for Basic Research and Advanced Study at the University of Chicago, 1989-90
- NHLBI Clinical Investigator Award, 1989-94
- Evanston Hospital Teacher of The Year Award, 2000
- Fellow, American College of Physicians
- Fellow, American College of Chest Physicians
- Member, Chicago Thoracic Society
- Member, Society of Critical Care Medicine
Publications in Peer-Review Journals:
- Ray DW, Hernandez C, Nunoz N, Leff AR and Solway J. Bronchoconstriction elicited by isocapnic hyperpnea in guinea pigs. J Appl Physiol 65(2):934-939, 1988.
- Ray DW, Hernandez C, Leff AR and Solway J. Tachykinins mediate bronchoconstriction elicited by isocapnic hyperpnea in guinea pigs. J Appl Physiol 66(3):1108-1112, 1989.
- Ray DW, Igenito EP, Strek M, Schumacker P and Solway J. Longitudinal Distribution of canine respiratory heat and water exchanges. J Appl Physiol 66(6):2788-2798, 1989.
- Ray DW, Hernandez C, Jackson M, Eappen S, Leff AR and Solway J. Thermal recovery elicits bronchoconstriction after dry gas hyperpnea in guinea pigs. Am Rev Resp Dis 39(4, Part 2):A233, 1989.
- Solway J, Hernandez C, Tutins C, Munoz N, Leff AR, Stimler-Gerard N, Alger L and Ray DW. Secretory cell mediator release during hyperpnea-induced bronchoconstriction in guinea pigs. Am Rev Resp Dis 139(4, Part 2):A233, 1989.
- Ray DW, Alger LE and Solway J. Hyperpnea-induced bronchoconstriction (HIB) and bronchovascular hyperpermeability (BVH) share a common inciting stimulus in guinea pigs. Physiologist 32(4):A158, 1989.
- Ray DW, Eappen S, Hernandez C, Jackson M, Leff AR and Solway J. Distribution of airway narrowing during hyperpnea-induced bronchoconstriction in guinea pigs. J Appl Physiol 69(4):1323-1329, 1990.
- Ray DW, Hernandez C, Eappen S and Solway J. Time course of bronchoconstriction induced by dry gas hyperpnea in guinea pigs. J Appl Physiol 70(2):504-510, 1991.
- Garland A, Ray DW, Doerschuk CM, Jackson M, Eappen S, Alger L and Solway J. The role of tachykinins in hyperpnea-induced bronchovascular hyperpermeability in guinea pigs. J Appl Physiol 70(1):27-35, 1991.
- Hsiue TR, Garland A, Ray DW, Hershenson MB, Leff AR and Solway J. Endogenous sensory neuropeptide release enhances non-specific airway responsiveness in guinea pigs. Am Rev Resp Dis 146:148-153, 1992.
- Hsiue TR, Leff AR, Garland A, Hershenson MD, Ray DW and Solway J. Impaired sensorineural function associated with allergic airway inflammation. Am Rev Resp Dis 148:447-54, 1993.
- Hershenson MB, Aghili S, Punjabi N, Hernandez C, Ray DW, Garland A, Glagov S and Solway J. Hyperoxia-induced airway hyper-responsiveness and remodeling in immature rats. Am J Physiol: Lung Cell Mol Physiol 262:L263-L269, 1992.
- Garland A, Jordan JE, Ray DW, Spaethe S, Alger L and Solway J. Role of eicosanoids in hyperpnea-induced airway responses in guinea pigs. J Appl Physiol 75(6):2797-2804, 1993.
- Murphy TM, Ray DW, Alger LE, Phillips IJ, Leff AR and Solway J. The ontogeny of dry gas hyperpnea-induced bronchoconstriction in guinea pigs. J Appl Physiol 76(3):1150-1155, 1994.
- Solway J, Garland A and Ray DW. Chapter 28 in Neuropeptides in Respiratory Medicine. Editors: Calender, Konkle, Barnes and Barenuck. Lung Biology in Health and Disease. Marcel Decker, NY, 1994.