Emmet Hirsch, MD
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Division of Obstetrics
Hirsch Lab Site »
- Undergraduate: BMS, Medical Sciences, Northwestern University
- Medical School: MD, Medicine, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University
- Residency: Obstetrics and Gynecology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship: Molecular Biology, Columbia University
- Infection and inflammation.
- The clinical and molecular pathogenesis of preterm labor.
Honors and Awards
- 1978, First Prize, Weizman Institute of Science, National Science Competition for Youth, Rehovot, Israel
- 1978, First in class, Israeli army basic training course
- 1979, Graduate with honors, Israeli army commander's course
- 1987, Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Medical Honors Society
- 1992, Ralph Reis Award, first place, resident research competition, Chicago, IL
- 1992, Chicago Maternity Center Outstanding Resident Award, Chicago, IL
- 1992, Chicago Gynecological Society award for outstanding research presentation, first prize, Chicago, IL
- 1992, Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics (APGO)/Parke-Davis Scholar Award
- 1993, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists/Upjohn Company Research Award in Infectious Disease
- 1993-1998, Physician Scientist Award (K11), National Institutes of Health
- 1996-1998, Basil O'Connor Starter Scholar Research Award, the March of Dimes Birth Defects Foundation
- 1999, Berlex Foundation Scholar Award in Basic Science Research
- 2001–2004, ENH Research Career Development Award (early career)
- 2007, ENH Research Career Development Award (mid-career)
- 2008, March of Dimes Jonas Salk Health Leadership Award for Research
- 2008, Outstanding Teacher Award, Northwestern University Ob/Gyn Residency
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Medical Honors Society
- The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (Fellow #000344845I)
- The Society for Gynecologic Investigation
- The American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Central Association of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Infectious Diseases Society for Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Perinatal Research Society
Publications in Peer-Review Journals:
- Hirsch E, Cohen L, Hecht B. Heterotopic pregnancy with discordant appearance of fetal cardiac activity. Obstet Gynecol (1992) 79:824-5.
- Hirsch E, Saotome I, Hirsh D. A model of intrauterine infection and preterm delivery in mice. Am J Obstet Gynecol (1995) 172:1598-603.
- Hirsch E, Irikura VM, Paul SM, Hirsh D. Functions of interleukin 1 receptor antagonist in gene knockout and overproducing mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA (1996) 93:11008-13
- Hirsch E. Anterior uterine incarceration. Int J Gynaecol Obstet (1997) 72:195-197.
- Hirsch E. Born too soon: Cervical ultrasonography to predict preterm delivery is unproven. The Female Patient (1998) 23:12-21.
- Ma Y, Thornton S, Boivin GP, Hirsh D, Hirsch R, Hirsch E. Altered susceptibility to collagen induced arthritis in transgenic mice with aberrant expression of IL-1 receptor antagonist. Arthritis Rheum (1998) 41:1798-1805.
- Hirsch E, Mehta SP, Blanchard RK. Differential fetal and maternal contributions to the cytokine milieu in a murine model of infection-induced preterm birth. Am J Obstet Gynecol (1999) 180(2 Pt 1):429-434.
- Mussalli GM, Brunnert SR, Hirsch E. A murine model of renal abscess formation. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol (1999) 6:273-275.
- Irikura VM, Hirsch E, Hirsh D. Effects of interleukin 1 receptor antagonist overexpression on infection by Listeria monocytogenes. Infect Immun (1999) 67:1901-1909.
- Hirsch E, Otto T, Blanchard R, Rosenberg JO. Mouse laparoscopy. J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc (1999) 6:173-177.
- Mussalli GM, Blanchard RK, Brunnert SR, Hirsch E. Inflammatory cytokines in a murine model of infection-induced preterm labor: Cause or effect? J Soc Gynecol Invest (1999) 6:188-195.
- Mussalli GM, Brunnert SR, Hirsch E. Preterm delivery in mice with renal abscess. Obstet Gynecol (2000) 95:453-6.
- Josephs MD, Solorzano CC, Ksontini R, Taylor M, Topping D, Abouhamze A, Mackay SLD, Hirsch E, Hirsh D, Labow M, Moldawer LL. Modulation of the acute phase response by altered expression of the IL-1 type 1 receptor or IL-1ra. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol (2000) 278:R824-R830.
- Leslie KK, Lee SL, Woodcock SM, Davies JK, McDuffie RS, Hirsch E, Sherman MP, Eskens JL, Gibbs RS. Acute intrauterine infection results in an imbalance between pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokines in the pregnant rabbit. Am J Reprod Immunol (2000) 43(5):305-311.
- Wong M-L, Xie B, Beatini N, Phu P, Marathe S, Johns A, Hirsch E, Williams KJ, Licinio J, Tabas I. Acute systemic inflammation up-regulates secretory sphingomyelinase in vivo: A possible new link between inflammatory cytokines and atherogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA (2000) 97(15):8681-8686.
- Muhle RA, Pavlidis P, Grundy WN, Hirsch E. A high throughput study of gene expression in preterm labor with a subtractive microarray approach. Am J Obstet Gynecol (2001) 185:716-724.
- Hirsch E, Muhle RA, Mussalli GM, Blanchard R. Bacterially induced preterm labor in the mouse does not require maternal interleukin 1 signaling. Am J Obstet Gynecol (2002) 186:523-530.
- Devlin CM, Kuriakose G, Hirsch E, Tabas I. Genetic alterations of interleukin-1 receptor antagonist in mice markedly affect non-HDL lipoprotein cholesterol levels and foam cell lesion size. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA (2002) 99:6280-6285.
- Hirsch E, Muhle RA. Intrauterine bacterial inoculation induces labor in the mouse by mechanisms other than progesterone withdrawal. Biol Reprod (2002) 67:1337-1341.
- Wang H and Hirsch E. Bacterially induced preterm labor and regulation of prostaglandin metabolizing enzyme expression in mice: the role of toll-like receptor 4. Biol Reprod (2003) 69:1957-63.
- Yoshimura K, Hirsch E. Interleukin 6 is neither necessary nor sufficient for preterm labor in a murine infection model. J Soc Gynecol Investig (2003) 10:423-427.
- Yoshimura K, Hirsch E, Kitano R, Kashimura M. Cervical varix accompanied by placenta previa in twin pregnancy. J Obstet Gynaecol Res (2004) 30:323-5.
- Hirsch E and Wang H. The molecular pathophysiology of bacterially induced preterm labor: insights from the murine model. J Soc Gynecol Invest (2005) 12:145-55.
- Hirsch E, Goldstein M, Filipovich Y, Wang H. Placental expression of enzymes regulating prostaglandin synthesis and degradation. Am J Obstet Gynecol (2005) 192:1836-43.
- Yoshimura K and Hirsch E. Effect of stimulation and antagonism of interleukin-1 signaling on preterm delivery in mice. J Soc Gynecol Invest (2005) 12:533-8.
- Craft JM, Watterson DM, Hirsch E, Van Eldik LJ. Interleukin 1 receptor antagonist knock-out mice show enhanced microglial activation and neuronal damage induced by intracerebroventricular infusion of human ß-Amyloid. J Neuroinflammation (2005) 20;2(1):15.
- Hirsch E, Filipovich Y, Mahendroo M. Signaling via the type I IL-1 and TNF receptors is necessary for bacterially induced preterm labor in a murine model. Am J Obstet Gynecol (2006) 194:1334-40.
- Hirsch E. Protecting the perineum during operative vaginal delivery. Contemporary Ob/Gyn (2007) 52:56-63.
- Ilievski V, Lu S-J, Hirsch E. Activation of toll-like receptors (TLR) -2 or -3 and preterm delivery in the mouse. Reproductive Sciences (2007) 14:315-320.
- Blank V, Hirsch E, Challis JR, Romero R, Lye S. Cytokine signaling, inflammation, innate immunity and preterm labour. Placenta (2008) 29 Suppl A:S102-4.
- Hirsch E, Haney EI, Gordon TEJ, Silver, RK. Reducing high-order perineal laceration during operative vaginal delivery. (2008) Am J Obstet Gynecol 198:668.e1-668.e5.
- Filipovich Y, Lu S-J, Akira S, Hirsch E. The adaptor protein MyD88 is essential for E. coli induced preterm delivery in mice. Am J Obstet Gynecol (2009)200:93.e1-93.e8.
- Hirsch E, Filipovich Y, Romero R. Failure of E. coli bacteria to induce preterm delivery in the rat. (2009) J Neg Results Biomed 8:1 (4 January 2009).
Peer Review Service:
- The American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology (top 5% of reviewers, 2007)
- Reproductive Sciences (formerly Journal of the Society for Gynecologic Investigation)
- International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Molecular Human Reproduction
- Biology of Reproduction
- The Welcome Trust
- The European Journal of Contraception and Reproductive Health Care
- The Female Patient