Department of Radiology
Evanston Hospital, Center for Advanced Imaging
2650 Ridge Ave., Evanston, IL 60201
- Undergraduate: BA, Biology and Music, Drake University
- Graduate: MS, Biology, Drake University
- Postgraduate: PhD, Anatomy, neuroscience and developmental biology, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Evaluate the Effectiveness of Sustained Electrical Stimulation on the Recovery of Evoked Potentials Following Spinal Cord Transection
- Identifying Sensorimotor Activation Patterns of Musicians with Focal Dystonia Before and After Splint Therapy Treatment
- Objective Changes in Performance Ability and fMRI Findings after Intensive Retraining of Musicians with Focal Hand Dystonia
- Functional Changes in Brain Activity While Learning to Read Unfamiliar Words and Music
- Memory Task Development for Clinical fMRI
Honors and Awards
- (1973) Drake University Presidential Scholarship
- (1976) Omicron Delta Kappa (undergraduate scholastic and leadership fraternity)
- (1976) Beta Beta Beta (undergraduate biology honorary fraternity)
- (1982) ARVO travel award
- (1988-1990) PHS National Research Service Award
- (1987-1991) Postdoctoral Fellow, Section of Neuroanatomy, Yale University School of Medicine
- (1991-1996) Postdoctoral Fellow, Northwestern University, Department of Neurobiology & Physiology
- (1992-1995) Instructor, Northwestern University, Department of Neurobiology and Physiology
- (1996-present) President and Project Director, Institute for Scientific Research and Education
- (1999-2008) Research Associate, Northwestern University, Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders
- (2002-2003) Instructor, Northwestern University, Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders
- (2005-present) Chairman, Institutional Review Board for Research and Development Institute, Inc.
- (2008-present) Project Manager, Department of Radiology, NorthShore University HealthSystem
Publications in Peer-Review Journals:
- Blumenfeld HK, Booth JR, Burman DD. Differential prefrontal-temporal neural correlates of semantic processing in children. Brain and Lang 2006; 99:226-235.
- Chou T-L, Booth JR, Burman DD, Bitan T, Bigio JD, Lu D, Cone NE. Developmental changes in the neural correlates of semantic processing. NeuroImage 2006; 29:1141-1149.
- Booth JR, Lu D, Burman DD, Chou T-L, Jin Z, Peng D-L, Zhang L, Ding G-S, Deng Y, Liu L. Specialization of phonological and semantic processing in Chinese word reading. Brain Res 2006; 1071:197-207.
- Chou TL, Booth JR, Bitan T, Burman DD, Bigio JD, Cone NE, Lu D, Cao F. Developmental and skill effects on the neural correlates of semantic processing to visually presented words. Hum Brain Mapp 2006; 27:915-924.
- Booth JR, Harasaki Y, Burman DD. Development of lexical and sentence level context effects for dominant and subordinate word meanings of homonyms. J Psycholinguistic Res 2006; 35:531-554.
- Bitan T, Booth JR, Burman DD, Lu D, Cone NE, Gitelman DR, Mesulam M-M. Weaker top-down modulation from Broca’s area in children. NeuroImage 2006; 33:991-998.
- Cao F, Booth JR, Bitan T, Burman D, Chou T. Deficient orthographic and phonological representations in developmental dyslexics, revealed by brain activation patterns. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 2006; 47:1041-1050.
- Booth JR, Bebko G, Burman DD, Bitan T. Children with reading disorder show modality independent brain abnormalities during semantic tasks. Neuropsychologia 2007; 45:775-783.
- Booth JR, Cho S, Burman DD, Bitan T. Neural correlates of mapping from phonology to orthography in children performing an auditory spelling task. Dev Science 2007; 10:441-451.
- Bitan T, Burman D, Chou T. Lu D., Cone NE, Cao F, Bigio JD, Booth JR. The interaction between orthographic and phonological information in children: an fMRI study. Hum Brain Mapp 2007 (Sept) 28:880-891.
- Bitan T, Cheon J, Lu D, Burman D, Gitelman DR, Mesulam M-M, Booth JR. Developmental changes in activation and effective connectivity in phonological processing. NeuroImage 2007 (Nov) 38(3):564-575.
- Bolger DJ, Hornickel J, Cone NE, Burman DD, Booth JR. Neural corre-lates of orthographic and phonological consistency effects in children. Hum Brain Mapp 2007 (Oct) (Epub ahead of print).
- Booth JR, Mehdiratta N, Burman DD, Bitan T. Developmental increases in effective connectivity to brain regions involved in phonological processing during tasks with orthographic demands. Brain Res 2008 (Jan) 1189:78-89.
- Burman DD, BitanT, Booth JR. Sex differences in neural processing of language among children. Neuropsychologia 2008 (Apr); 46(5):1349-1362. http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2008/apr/01/health/chi-0401_health_brains_rapr01
- Cone NE, Burman, DD, Bitan T, Booth JR. Developmental changes in brain regions involved in phonological and orthographic processing during spoken language processing. NeuroImage 2008; 41:623-635.
- Bitan T, Cheon J, Lu D, Burman DD, Booth JR. Developmental increase in top-down and bottom-up processes in a phonological task: An effective connectivity, fMRI study. J Cogn Neurosci 2008 (Aug) [Epub ahead of print].
- Bolger DJ, Minas J, Burman DD, Booth JR. Differential effects of orthographic and phonological consistency in cortex for children with and without reading impairment. Neuropsychologia. 2008 (Aug) [Epub ahead of print].