Developer of the whooping cough vaccine at Evanston Hospital in the 1920's, Dr. Louis W. Sauer exemplifies NorthShore University HealthSystem's devotion to research and improved patient care.
Setting up laboratories in any space they could find and financing their work with personal resources, Evanston Hospital physicians in the 1920s and 30s achieved major medical breakthroughs in the treatment of scarlet fever and whooping cough. Local philanthropists helped the hospital grow through their generous donations. In 1940, Evanston Hospital erected a research facility, the Abbott Memorial Building, thanks to the Abbott family, who donated five acres of land adjacent to the hospital and $85,000 for the new building.
Two major bequests in the 1950s-$1 million from the estate of Thomas J. Dee and $1.2 million from the estate of George C. Moody -- enabled the hospital to launch its first comprehensive research program. NorthShore University HealthSystem (NorthShore) continues that tradition of financial support and strong leadership. Today, a large number of our stellar clinician-scientists have received highly competitive grants from the National Institutes of Health (NIH). These men and women are members of the Corporation's "million- dollar club" by, virtue of their million-dollar-plus grants for studies ranging from the genetics of schizophrenia to the development of technology 30 to 50 times more accurate than conventional colonoscopy.
As the Corporation has expanded into an integrated system of four hospitals - Evanston, Glenbrook, Highland Park and Skokie - serving the people and communities of Chicago's North Shore, so has the scope and importance of our research program. The solid financial strength of NorthShore University HealthSystem (NorthShore), made possible through sound fiscal management and a sizable endowment, enables our clinician-scientists to focus their energies and expertise on cutting-edge research. Through the NorthShore University HealthSystem Research Institute, we continue our tradition of delivering improved quality patient care through the translation of scientific discovery.
Dr. George Dick and Dr. Gladys Dick develop a toxin for the prevention of scarlet fever. Dr. Louis Sauer develops a vaccine for whooping cough.
Dee and Moody research endowment established. NorthShore NIH-research awards triple. The Research Committee of the Board of Directors created. A Virus Research Laboratory and a Quantitative Medicine Unit open.
Selected by the NIH as one of the Centers for the Women's Health Initiative, the largest clinical trial in US history. The Center for Basic MR Research established. The Owen L. Coon Research Center, a $5 million expanded research facility, opens.
NorthShore Research Institute founded in October, 1996. Twelve NorthShore researchers receive million-dollar NIH grants. $60 million invested to expand research facilities, doubling the amount of space. Ground broken for NorthShore's new research building in the Evanston Research Park in downtown Evanston.
Based upon NIH awards, NorthShore ranked #1 in the State of Illinois and #9 in the United States among comprehensive independent research hospitals. Over 30 NorthShore researchers receive million dollar NIH grants. The Charles R. Walgreen, Jr. Research and Administrative Building opens on the Evanston Hospital campus. Total external grant awards exceed $115 million.
NorthShore continues its #1 ranking in the State of Illinois and top ten ranking in the U.S., and becomes the fastest growing hospital-based research program in the nation 12 years running, based upon NIH awards. NorthShore becomes a principal affiliate of The University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine and one of its primary teaching sites. The Center for Clinical and Research Informatics is created to further NorthShore's aspiration of national excellence in clinical and research informatics. Total external grant awards exceed $127 million.