A primary care physician (PCP) allows you to establish a trusting relationship with one medical professional over time, maintaining continuity in your healthcare. As a team, you and your PCP work together toward preventive healthcare and follow steps needed to maintain your good health.
A PCP is a practitioner who sees people for common medical problems. Your PCP is often involved in your care for a long time, so it is important to select someone with whom you will work well. An excellent way to initiate this important relationship is to schedule a physical.
A PCP is your main healthcare provider in non-emergency situations. His or her role is to:
- Provide preventive care and teach healthy lifestyle choices
- Identify and treat common medical conditions
- Assess the urgency of your medical problems and direct you to the best place for that care
- Refer you to medical specialists when necessary
You can choose from several different types of PCPs:
- Family Medicine: Comprehensive care for family members of all ages and genders. As the name suggests, Family Medicine practitioners place emphasis on the family unit as a whole. Learn More »
- Internal Medicine: Ongoing care for adolescent through senior years. From the office to the hospital, Internists provide continuity in care from common illnesses, complex diagnosis and everything in between. Learn More »
- Pediatrics: Specialized care for infancy through adolescent years. With focus on healthy growth and development, the joy of pediatrics is to help each child achieve his or her full potential. Learn More »
- Obstetrics & Gynecology (OB/GYN): Specializes in women’s health, emphasizing reproductive health, fertility, pregnancy and childbirth. Learn More »
Regular check-ups with your PCP will keep you and your doctor in touch so both of you can determine what’s changed and what you need to do to stay healthy.
If you don’t have a PCP, don’t wait until you get sick to find one. Find the right doctor for you by calling our physician referral service at 847.570.5020 or locate a PCP online.