Also known as an angiogram, this X-ray exam will allow your interventional radiologist to take images of your arteries in order to identify blockages. The procedure involves inserting a thin tube (catheter) into a blood vessel through the small, paper cut sized incision. Using the latest imaging technology, your radiologist will be able to see your blood vessels and monitor blood flow.
How to Prepare for an Angiography
- Plan to arrive at the hospital 2-4 hours prior to their treatment in order to have lab tests done.
- If you have previously been prescribed blood thinners, you will be asked to stop taking them a week before their procedure.
- Inform your physician of any allergies, as well as medication you are currently taking.
What to Expect
- This is a same-day procedure, and will take under an hour to complete.
- You will be under heavy sedation (twilight anesthesia), but conscious throughout the procedure. This will be administered through an intravenous line inserted in the arm.
- You will be lying on your back throughout the procedure.
- The area of incision will be numbed, so you should only feel slight pressure when the catheter is inserted, but no pain.
- The catheter will be inserted into your blood vessel through a small incision while images are taken.
- After removal, the incision will be covered (does not require any stitches)
What to Expect after an Angiography
- This minimally invasive alternative to surgery reduces your recovery time from 6-8 weeks, to only a day.
- After the procedure, you will need 2-6 hours for recovery and observation.
- After your angiography is completed, your interventional radiologist will be able to determine the location of any clogged arteries.
- Your interventional radiologist will examine the images and confer with your primary care or referring physician, who will discuss the results with you and decide on the next steps.
For More Information
For more information on angiographies, or to schedule an appointment with an interventional radiologist, please call 847.570.2638.