Department of Pediatrics
Chief Scientific Officer
- Undergraduate: BS, Biology, University of Illinois
- Medical School: MD, Medicine, Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago
- Residency: Pediatrics, Children's Memorial Hospital, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
- Fellowship: Neonatology, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
To understand the pathophysiology of neonatal necrotizing enterocolitis, and to design specific strategies to prevent the disease.
Honors and Awards
- Graduated with honors, Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, 1984
- Best Resident Teacher, 1984-1985
- Kenney Award, Best Fellow Presentation, Midwest Society of Pediatric Research, 1989
- Sutherland Award for best research presentation by young faculty, Midwest Society for Pediatric Research, 1991
- Speaker, NIH NEC symposium, 1993
- NIH Clinical Investigator Award, 1993-1998
- Editor, Clinics in Perinatology, June 1995
- Research Scholar Award, Women's Auxiliary, Evanston Hospital Corporation, 1995-1998
- Chairman, Pediatric Research NEC symposium, 1997
- Chairman, Symposium on NEC, Society for Pediatric Research, 1998
- Jonas Salk Health Services Award, March of Dimes, 2000
- Chairman, Neonatology Disease-Oriented Research, SPR, 2000
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Illinois Chapter: Fetus and Newborn Committee, Chairperson
- Perinatal Association of Illinois
- Midwest Society for Pediatric Research, Council member
- Society for Pediatric Research
- International Society for Research in Human Milk and Lactation
Publications in Peer-Review Journals:
- Amer M, Adler A, Jilling T, Caplan M: Stool PAF levels in neonatal necrotizing enterocolitis. Biol Neonate, submitted, 2003.
- Qu X, Rozenfeld R, Zhu Y, Chen J, De Plaen IG, Caplan MS, and Hsueh W: Tetrahydrobiopterin prevents platelet-activating factor-induced bowel necrosis: Role of neuronal nitric oxide synthase. Gut, submitted, 2003.
- Lu J, Caplan MS, Li D, Adler L, Saraf A, Liu X, Jilling T: Platelet-activating factor-induced apoptosis is blocked by Bcl-2 in rat intestinal epithelial cells. Amer J Physiol, submitted, 2003.
- Thaete L, Neerhof MG, Jilling T, Caplan MS: Infusion of exogenous PAF produces IUGR in the rat. J Soc Gynecol Investig; 10145-150, 2003.
- Amer M, Adler L, Yu Xiao, Jilling T, and Caplan M: The role of phospholipase A2 in a neonatal rat model of NEC: J Pediatr Gastro Nutr, submitted, 2003.
- Hammerman C, Goldschmidt D, Caplan MS, Kaplan M, Bromiker R, Eidelman AI, Gartner LM, Hochman A. Protective effect of bilirubin in ischemia-reperfusion injury in the rat intestine. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr; 35:344-9, 2002.
- Claud EC, Li D, Xiao Y, Caplan MS, Jilling T: Platelet-activating factor regulates chloride transport in colonic epithelial cell monolayers. Pediatr Res. 52:155-162, 2002.
- Caplan, MS, Jilling T: The role of polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation in intestinal inflammation and neonatal necrotizing enterocolitis. Lipids. 36:1053-1057, 2001.
- Caplan MS, Russell T, Xiao Y, Amer M, Kaup S, Jilling T: Effect of polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation on intestinal inflammation and necrotizing enterocolitis in a neonatal rat model. Pediatr Res 49:647-652, 2001.
- Tan X, Chang H, Qu X, Caplan M, Gonzalez-Crussi F, Hsueh W: Platelet-activating factor increases mucosal permeability in rat intestine via tyrosine phosphorylation of E-cadherin. Br J Pharmacol, 129:1522-1529, 2000.
- Hammerman C, Goldschmidt D, Caplan MS, Kaplan M, Schimmel MS, Eidelman AI, Branski D, Hochman A: Amelioration of ischemia-reperfusion injury in rat intestine by pentoxifylline-mediated inhibition of xanthine oxidase. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 29:69-74, 1999.
- Caplan MS, Miller-Catchpole R, Kaup S, Russell T, Lickerman M, Amer M, Xiao Y, Thomson R: Bifidobacterial supplementation reduces the incidence of necrotizing enterocolitis in a neonatal rat model. Gastroenterol 117:577-583, 1999.
- Silver RK, Russell TL, Brodin AG, Check IJ, Helfand BT, Caplan MS: Variability of murine pregnancy outcome resulting from passive immunization with anticardiolipin antibody-positive immunoglobulin G. Maternal-Fetal Invest 8:35-38, 1998.
- Caplan MS, Lickerman M, Adler L, Dietsch GN, and Yu A: The role of recombinant platelet-activating factor acetylhydrolase in a neonatal rat model of necrotizing enterocolitis. Pediatr Res 42:779-883, 1997.
- Neerhof MG, Silver RK, Caplan MS, Thaete LG: Endothelin-1-induced placental and fetal growth restriction in the rat. J Maternal Fetal Med 6:1-4, 1997.
Peer Review Service:
- Journal of Pediatrics
- Pediatrics Research
- Digestive Diseases and Sciences
- Pediatric Pathology
- Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition
- Fertility and Sterility
- Free Radical Biology and Medicine
- Molecular Genetics and Metabolism
- American Family Physician
- FASEB Journal
- Pediatric Surgery International