Hospice is not a place, rather a concept and a way of care. Since 1979, NorthShore’s hospice has been helping patients share their final months and days with their families with peace, comfort and dignity. Hospice helps patients remain in their own homes when possible and their preference, and also provides care at NorthShore Evanston, Glenbrook, Highland Park and Skokie hospitals as well as in nursing homes and assisted living facilities.
Our highly-skilled staff has special training and an interest in continuing education in the latest techniques and therapies to address patient and family physical and psychosocial symptoms and conditions. Weekly team meetings help identify potential problems and successful interventions designed to maintain a peaceful and comfortable environment for the patient and their loved ones.
NorthShore hospice takes care of the whole person—physically, emotionally and spiritually. Care is provided for both patients and their families in a holistic, gentle approach.
Among the services provided are:
- Pain and symptom management
- Care coordination with patient’s primary care physician and specialist
- Coordination of medical supplies, equipment and medication
- Registered nurses on call 24 hours a day
- Bathing and hygiene assistance
- Emotional and spiritual support
- Bereavement counseling and support groups
- Volunteer services