What can I do to get involved at NorthShore University HealthSystem?
Now, we make it easier than ever for you to get out and do good! Help make a difference for someone in need. At NorthShore, there are a variety of ways that you can get involved; from participating in community events to volunteering at one of our hospitals or medical offices, we need and value your ongoing support.
- Assist on a nursing unit - You can help out on a nursing unit by giving non-nursing attention such as friendly visiting and by helping patients with needs that they may have such as getting them fresh water, running an errand to the Gift Shop, adjusting the TV, or supplying reading material. You can help the staff in may ways, from answering patients' call lights, to running errands, to clerical work. Volunteering is a great way to observe how a patient unit functions.
- Work in the Emergency Department - As a volunteer in the Emergency Room, you can help make patients' and their families' experience a bit easier. You might act as a liaison between those in the waiting area and the ER, or you might run errands for the ER staff.
- Staff a reception desk - If you volunteer at a reception desk, you get to greet patients and visitors, answer phones, give directions, and assist staff. A friendly, caring person gives people an important first impression.
- Work in the gift shop - You'll enjoy the pleasant atmosphere of our attractively stocked gift shop and help patients and visitors select items for purchase.
- Make deliveries in the hospital - These volunteers make rounds on the patients' floors, delivering newspapers, flowers, mail, books, and other items that help enhance a patient's day. They also help the hospital staff by picking up medical records, delivering specimens and other items needed around the hospital.
- Help in the Surgical Family Lounge or Intensive Care Lounge - These volunteers keep families of surgery or intensive care patients informed of their relatives' progress.
- Provide clerical support - Many volunteers make a valuable contribution to numerous departments by working behind the scenes in offices, and performing a wide range of jobs, which as an end result benefits our patients.
- Drive for Mobile Meals - Meals are picked up by volunteers at Highland Park Hospital in the late morning and delivered to clients in the local area. These volunteers get the opportunity to form relationships with individuals because they are able to visit them each week on a consistent basis.
- And more - A variety of unique volunteer opportunities await you at each hospital. Most likely, there is a volunteer position that is just right for you.
Learn About Our Volunteer Requirements »