Department of Radiology
Center for Advanced MR Research
Evanston Hospital, Center for Advanced Imaging
2650 Ridge Ave., Evanston, IL 60201
- Undergraduate: BSc, Applied Science, Anna University
- Graduate: MSc, Medical Physics, Anna University; MS, Physics, East Texas State University
- Postgraduate: PhD, Radiological Science, University of California, Irvine
- American Board of Medical Physics, Certification in Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) of the kidneys, heart, and lungs.
- Biochemical/Molecular imaging of cartilage by MRI.
- Quantitative flow, diffusion and perfusion and oxygenation measurements using MRI.
- Fast imaging techniques in Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
Academic and Administrative Appointments
- (2000-present) Associate Director of MRI Research & Director of Physiological Imaging, Evanston Northwestern Healthcare, Evanston, IL
- (2010-present) Professor of Radiology (part-time): Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- (2011-present) Professor in Biomedical Engineering (adjunct): Robert McCormick School of Engineering & Applied Sciences, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.
Honors and Awards
- (1987) Radiological Sciences Department Fellowship: University of California-Irvine
- (1990) Norman A. Bailey Award of American Association of Physicists in Medicine, Southern California Chapter
- (1997) European Renal Association (ERA-EDTA) Annual Congress Grant
- (1999) Winner of Young Investigator award from the International Society of Endo-Urology
- (2013) Magna-cum-laude International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine
- (1994) International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM)
- (1998) American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM)
Publications in Peer-Review Journals (selected from over 100):
- Prasad PV, Nalcioglu O. A modified pulse sequence of in vivo diffusion imaging with reduced motion artifacts. Magn Reson Med 1991; 18:116-31.
- Harada K, Grossman W, Friedman M, Edelman E, Prasad P, Manning WJ, Selke FW, Simons M. Basic fibroblast growth factor improves myocardial function in chronically ischemic porcine hearts. J Clin Invest 1994; 94: 623-30.
- Müller MF, Prasad PV, Bimmler D, Kaiser A, Edelman RR. Functional imaging of the kidney by measurement of the apparent diffusion coefficient. Radiology 1994; 193: 711-716.
- Hatabu H, Gaa J, Kim D, Li W, Prasad PV, Edelman RR. Pulmonary perfusion: dynamic contrast-enhanced MR imaging using ultra-short TE and inversion recovery turboFLASH. Magn Reson Med 1996; 36: 503-8.
- Edelman RR, Hatabu H, Tadamura E, Li W, Prasad PV. Noninvasive assessment of regional ventilation in the human lung using oxygen-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging. Nat Med 1996; 2: 1236-39. †Accompanied with an editorial, Johnson GA, Hedlund LW. Functional imaging of the lung. Nat Med 1996; 2: 1192.
- Prasad PV, Edelman RR, Epstein FH. Non-invasive evaluation of intra-renal oxygenation using BOLD MRI. Circulation 1996; 94, 3271-5. †Accompanied with an editorial, Kone BC. A ‘BOLD’ new approach to renal oxygen economy. Circulation 1996; 94: 3067-8.
- Epstein FH, Prasad PV. Effects of furosemide on medullary oxygenation in young and elderly subjects. Kid Intl 2000; 57: 2080-3.
- Epstein FH, Veves A, Prasad PV. Effect of diabetes mellitus on renal medullary oxygenation during water diuresis, Diabetes Care 2002; 25: 575-8.
- Li LP, Storey P, Kim D, Li W, Prasad PV. Kidneys in hypertensive rats show reduced response to nitric oxide synthase inhibition as evaluated by bold mri. J Magn Reson Imaging 2003; 17: 671-5.
- Storey P, Danias PG, Post M, Li W, Seoane PR, Harnish PP, Edelman RR, Prasad PV. Preliminary evaluation of EVP 1001-1: a new cardiac-specific MR contrast agent with kinetics suitable for steady-state imaging of the ischemic heart. Invest Radiol 2003 Oct; 38(10): 642-52.
- Tumkur S, Vu AT, Li LP, Pierchala L, and Prasad PV, Evaluation of Intra-renal Oxygenation During Water Diuresis: A Time Resolved Study Using BOLD MRI, Kid Intl 2006 Jul;70(1):139-43. †Accompanied with a commentary, Mason RP. Non-invasive assessment of kidney oxygenation: a role for BOLD MRI, Kidney Int. 2006 Jul;70(1):10-1.
- Torres L, Dunlop DD, Peterfy C, Guermazi A, Prasad P, Hayes KW, Song J, Cahue S, Chang A, Marshall M, Sharma L., The relationship between specific tissue lesions and pain severity in persons with knee osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2006 Oct;14(10):1033-40.
- Dos Santos EA, Li LP, Ji L, Prasad PV, Early Changes With Diabetes in Renal Medullary Hemodynamics as Evaluated by Fiberoptic Probes and BOLD Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Invest Radiol. 2007 Mar; 42(3):157-62.
- Drobyshevsky A, Derrick M, Prasad PV, Ji X, Englof I, Tan S. Fetal brain magnetic resonance imaging response acutely to hypoxia-ischemia predicts postnatal outcome. Ann Neurol. 2007 Apr;61(4):307-14.
- Sharma L, Eckstein F, Song J, Guermazi A, Prasad P, Kapoor D, Cahue S, Marshall M, Hudelmaier M, Dunlop D., Relationship of meniscal damage, meniscal extrusion, malalignment, and joint laxity to subsequent cartilage loss in osteoarthritic knees. Arthritis Rheum. 2008 Jun;58(6):1716-26.
- Barick KC, Aslam M, Prasad PV, Dravid VP, Bahadur D, Nanoscale assembly of amine functionalized colloidal iron oxide, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials (2009) 321 (10) 1529-32.
- Li W, Scheidegger R, Wu Y, Edelman RR, Farley M, Krishnan N, Burstein D, Prasad PV., Delayed contrast-enhanced MRI of cartilage: Comparison of nonionic and ionic contrast agents, Magn Reson Med. 2010 Nov;64(5):1267-73.
- Prasad P, Li LP, Halter S, Cabray J, Ye M, Batlle D., Evaluation of Renal Hypoxia in Diabetic Mice by BOLD MRI., Invest Radiol. 2010 Dec; 45: 819-22.
- Prasad PV, Li W, Schnitzer T, Krishnan N, and Burstein D, Preliminary Evaluation of Potential Disease Modification by Hylan G-F 20 (Synvisc®) Using dGEMRIC, J Mol Imag Dynamic 2012, 2(1): 1-4.
- Li W, Lazarus M, Koh J, Gliwa E, Prasad PV, Intra-articular dGEMRIC in Patients Scheduled for MR Arthrography of the Hip Joint, J Arthritis 2013; 2 (110): 2.
- Haque ME, Franklin T, Bokhary U, Mathew L, Hack BK, Chang A, Puri TS, Prasad PV, Longitudinal changes in MRI markers in a reversible UUO mouse model: Preliminary experience. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2014; 39: 835-41 PMID: 24151096.
- Tan H, Liu T, Wu Y, Thacker J, Shenkar R, Mikati AG, Shi C, Dykstra C, Wang Y, Prasad PV, Edelman RR, Awad IA. Evaluation of Iron Content in Human Cerebral Cavernous Malformation Using Quantitative Susceptibility Mapping. Invest Radiol. 2014; [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24619210.
- Li LP, Lu J, Zhou Y, Papadopoulou MV, Franklin T, Bokhary U, Solomon R, Sen A,Prasad PV. Evaluation of Intrarenal Oxygenation in Iodinated Contrast-Induced Acute Kidney Injury-Susceptible Rats by Blood Oxygen Level-Dependent Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Invest Radiol. 2014 Feb 21. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24566288.
- Li LP, Thacker J, Lu J, Franklin T, Zhou Y, Papadopoulou MV, Solomon R, Prasad PV. Efficacy of Preventive Interventions for Iodinated Contrast-Induced Acute Kidney Injury Evaluated by Intrarenal Oxygenation as an Early Marker. Invest Radiol. 2014 May 27. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 24872003.
- Prasad PV editor, Methods in Molecular Medicine: Magnetic Resonance Imaging Methods and Biologic Applications, Humana Press, Totowa, NJ, 2006.
Book Chapters (selected):
- Buxton RB, Frank LR, Prasad PV. Principles of diffusion and perfusion MR imaging In: Edelman RR, Hesselink JR, Zlatkin MB, editors. Clinical magnetic resonance imaging, 2nd edition, Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders, 1996. p. 233-70.
- Kressel H, Chen Q, Prasad PV, Hatabu H. Magnetic resonance imaging. In: Pollack HM, McClennan BL, editors. Clinical Urology, 2nd edition, Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders; 1999. p. 525-54.
- Prasad PV. Functional Body MRI In: Edelman RR, Hesselink JR, Zlatkin MB, editors. Clinical magnetic resonance imaging, 3rd edition, Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders, 2005.
- Lu-Ping Li and Pottumarthi V. Prasad, Estimation of Kidney Oxygenation by Blood Oxygenation Level Dependent Magnetic Resonance Imaging, T. Miyata et al. (eds.), Studies on Renal Disorders, Oxidative Stress in Applied Basic Research and Clinical Practice 2011; 587-609.
- Prasad PV and Edelman RR, MR perfusion imaging in the body: kidney, liver and lung, Barker PB, Golay X, and Zaharchuk G (eds.), Clinical Perfusion MRI 2013; 281-298.
- Tan H and Prasad PV, Case report: Chronic kidney disease, Barker PB, Golay X, and Zaharchuk G (eds.), Clinical Perfusion MRI 2013; 299.
Peer Review Service:
- Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Magnetic Resonance in Medicine
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Journal of Applied Physiology
- European Journal of Radiology
- Medical Physics
- Investigative Radiology
- Kidney International
- Journal of American Society of Nephrology
- NMR in Biomedicine
- Nature Clinical Practice Nephrology
- American Journal of Physiology - Renal Physiology
- Journal of American College of Cardiology
- Acta Physiologica
- American Journal of Nephrology
- Osteoarthritis and Cartilage
Presentations (selected invited speaker):
- Prasad PV, Update on iron vs. gadolinium in magnetic resonance angiography, Transcending the blood-brain barrier: The role of translational research to optimize CNS delivery, Skamania Lodge, Stevenson, Washington, Mar (2003).
- Prasad PV, Diagnostic Imaging: Functional MRI: neuro and beyond, Chicago Universities Bioengineering Industry Consortium (CUBIC) Jan (2004).
- Prasad PV. RCN and Renal O2 Levels: In Vivo Studies, ASN Official Symposia “Radio Contrast Nephropathy: An Update” during Renal Week 2006, San Diego, CA, Nov (2006).
- Prasad PV. Functional MRI of the kidney, Canadian Society of Nephrology, CME Half day: Imaging and Kidney, Halifax, Canada, May (2007).
- Prasad PV. Imaging of the Kidney: Non-conventional Methods Applicable to Humans, NIDDK workshop on Kidney Function & Damage, June (2008).
- Prasad PV. BOLD MRI for Intrarenal Oxygen Assessment, during Renal Week 2008, Philadelphia, PA, Nov (2008).
- Prasad PV, Diffusion and BOLD MRI of the Kidney: A diagnostic or prognostic tool?,International Symposium on Radionuclides in Nephrourology, Mikulov, Czech Republic May (2010).
- Prasad PV, Functional MRI of the kidney: Tools for translational studies of pathophysiology of renal disease, New York Society of Nephrology, New York, NY Apr (2011).
- R01 DK093793(PI: Pottumarthi Prasad);
7-1-2012 to 6-30-2017
Title: Longitudinal changes in intra-renal oxygenation by BOLD MRI in patients with CKD
Goals: To evaluate multi-parameter analysis of kidney in patients with stage 3 CKD and follow them over 5 years to monitor progression.
- 1P60AR064464-01 Sub-Project ID: 6315 (PI: Leena Sharma)(NorthShore sub-contract PI: Prasad)
NIH-NIAMS, 8/1/2013 – 7/31/2018
Title: Defining targets for therapy to delay cartilage loss and poor outcome in knee OA
- R01 DK 102438 Isakova (PI)
07/01/14 – 06/31/19
NIH - Sprague (NorthShore PI)
Impact of Phosphate and FGF23 Reduction on Intermediate End Points in CKD
Goal: To recruit subjects with CKD and performing all necessary procedures for sample collections for biomarker analysis and proposed MRI acquisitions (both cardiac and renal MRI). NorthShore will also be responsible for the analysis of all the renal MRI scans from the four proposed sites.
Pottumarthi V. PRASAD Manlio Bolla Marianna Armogida, USE OF 4-(NITROOXY)-BUTYL-(S)-2-(6-METHOXY-2-NAPHTHYL)-PROPANOATE FOR TREATING PAIN AND INFLAMMATION. US20080269323 (issued 10/30/2008); WO2008132025 (issued on11/6/2008).