« Previous Page
While you are
breastfeeding, avoid exposure to poisonous
substances, which may be in contaminated water, food, or air. Heavy metals such
as lead and mercury, some pesticides, and other industrial or household
chemicals can sometimes end up in breast milk.
If mercury builds up to toxic levels in the human body, it can cause brain damage. Overall, fish and shellfish are healthy foods, but it's best for breastfeeding moms to avoid eating fish high in mercury. It can be harmful when mercury is passed to your baby through your breast milk.
Make sure your household and work areas are not hazardous. Use
common sense to avoid strong chemicals, such as pesticides. If you are unsure
or concerned about exposures, contact your local health department for
information about whether special testing is warranted.
Talk to your doctor if you are unsure about your exposure to
ByHealthwise StaffPrimary Medical ReviewerSarah Marshall, MD - Family MedicineKathleen Romito, MD - Family MedicineAdam Husney, MD - Family MedicineSpecialist Medical ReviewerKirtly Jones, MD - Obstetrics and Gynecology
Current as ofNovember 21, 2017
Current as of:
November 21, 2017
Sarah Marshall, MD - Family Medicine
& Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine & Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine & Kirtly Jones, MD - Obstetrics and Gynecology
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2018 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.