How likely are you to doze off or fall asleep in the following situations, in contrast to feeling just tired? Even if you have not done some of these things recently, try to determine how you might react.
Use the following scale to choose the most appropriate number for each situation, and keep track of your total points:
0 No chance of dozing
1 Slight chance of dozing
2 Moderate chance of dozing
3 High chance of dozing
- Sitting and reading
- Watching TV
- Sitting inactive in a public place (e.g. theater or a meeting)
- As a passenger in a car for an hour without a break
- Lying down to rest in the afternoon when circumstances permit
- Sitting and talking to someone
- Sitting quietly after a lunch without alcohol
- In a car, while stopped for a few minutes in traffic
If you scored greater than 9 points, you may benefit from a consultation with an NorthShore University HealthSystem sleep specialist.