Department of Pediatrics
- Undergraduate: B.Sc., Hindu College, University of Delhi, Delhi, India
- Medical School: All India Institute of Medical Sciences (A.I.I.M.S.), New Delhi, India
- Internship: Rotating internship, Columbus-Cuneo-Cabrini Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois
- Residency: Junior residency in Ophthalmology, Rajendra Prasad Centre of Ophthalmology, A.I.I.M.S., New Delhi, India
- Residency: Pediatric residency PL1-2, Northwestern University Affiliated Program, Columbus-Cuneo-Cabrini Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois
- Residency: Pediatric residency PL3, Wyler Children's Hospital, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
- Fellowship: Neonatology, Jackson Memorial Hospital, University of Miami, Miami, Florida
Honors and Awards
- Clinical Excellence Award for Caring, University Hospital, Birmingham, Alabama, 1998.
- Ralph E. Tiller Distinguished Faculty Award (for teaching of residents), Department of Pediatrics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Alabama, 1998.
- Active member, Society of Pediatric Research
- Fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics
- Oxygen Society
- Society for Neurosciences
Publications in Peer-Review Journals:
- Chen C, Neto GS, Tan S, Bandstra E, Duara S, Gerhadt T, Bancalari E. Respiratory stability in neonates with in utero exposure to cocaine. J Pediatr 119(1):111-113, 1991.
- Tan S, Duara S, Neto GS, Afework M, Gerhadt T, Bancalari E. The effects of respiratory training with inspiratory flow resistive loads in premature infants. Pediatr Res 31:613-618, 1992.
- Radi R, Tan S, Prodanov E, Evans RA, Parks DA. Inhibition of xanthine oxidase by uric acid and its influence on superoxide radical production. Biochem Biophys Acta 1122:178-182, 1992.
- Tan S, Yokoyama Y, Dickens E, Cash TG, Freeman BA, Parks DA. Xanthine oxidase activity in the circulation of rats following hemorrhagic shock. Free Radic Biol Med 15:407-414, 1993.
- Tan S, Radi R, Gaudier FL, Evans RA, Rivera A, Kirk KA, Parks DA. Physiological levels of uric acid inhibit xanthine oxidase in human plasma. Pediatr Res 34:303-307, 1993.
- Nielson VG, Weinbroum A, Tan S, Samuelson PN, Gelman S, Parks DA. Xanthine oxidoreductase release after descending thoracic aorta occlusion and reperfusion in rabbits. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surgery, 107:1222-1227, 1994.
- Tan S, Gelman S, Wheat JK, Parks DA. Circulating xanthine oxidase in human ischemia-reperfusion. South Med J, 88:479-482, 1995.
- Weinbroum A, Nielsen VG, Tan S, Gelman S, Matalon S, Bradley E, Skinner K, Parks DA. Liver ischemia-reperfusion increases pulmonary permeability in the rat: role of circulating xanthine oxidase. Am J Physiol, Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology, 268:G-988-G996, 1995.
- Nielsen VG, McCammon AT, Tan S, Kirk KA, Samuelson PN, Parks DA. Xanthine oxidase inactivation attenuates post-occlusion shock after descending thoracic aorta occulusion and reperfusion in rabbits. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surgery, 110:715-722, 1995.
- Tan S, Liu Y-Y, Nielson VG, Skinner K, Kirk KA, Baldwin ST, Parks DA. Maternal Infusion of Antioxidants (Trolox and Ascorbic Acid) Protects the Fetal Heart in Rabbit Fetal Hypoxia. Pediatr Res, 39:499-503, 1996.
- Nielson VG, Tan S, Baird MS, McCammon AT, Parks DA. Gastric intramucosal pH and multiple organ injury: impact of ischemia-reperfusion and xanthine oxidase. Crit Care Med, 24:1339-1344, 1996.