David E. Shapiro, MD
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Undergraduate: BA Mathematics, BS Medical Science, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
- Medical School: MD, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL
- Internship: General Surgery, Michael Reese Hospital, Chicago, IL
- Residency: Orthopaedic Surgery, Tufts University, Boston, MA
- Fellowship: Spine Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- Effect of Surgical Gloves on the Median Nerve
Honors and Awards
- Honors Program in Medical Education
- Active Fellow American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
- North American Spine Society
- Diplomate of American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Publications in Peer-Review Journals:
- Cohn EB., Ignatoff JM., Keeler TC, Shapiro DE, Blum MD. Exposure of the anterior spine: technique and experience with 66 patients. The Journal of Urology, August 2000;164:416-418.
- Hanley EH; Kraus D; Harvell JC, Shapiro DE. Use of allograft in cervical spine surgery. Seminars in Spine Surgery (in press).
- Toleikis JR, Carlvin AO, Shapiro DE, Shafer MF. The use of dermatomal evoked responses during surgical procedures that use intrapedicular fixation of the lumbosacral spine. Spine 1993;18(16):2401-2407.
- Hanley EH and Shapiro DE. The development of low back pain after excision of a lumbar disc. J Bone Joint Surgery, June 1989;71-a:719-21.
- Kraus D, Shapiro D. The symptomatic lumbar spine in athletes. Clinics in Sports Medicine, Jan 1989;8(1):50-70.
- Shapiro, D. Dermatomyositis. Orthopaedics, February 1981.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome In Spine Surgeons; 18th Israeli Medical Association World Fellowship International Conference, Jerusalem, Israel, April 12, 2007.
- Intra-Discal Lumbar Fusion Utilizing Anterior Wedge-Shaped Carbon Fiber Cages; World Spine II, Chicago, IL, August 13, 2003.
- Transperitoneal Approach To The Anterior Lumbar Spine: Clinical Experience With 110 Cases; Spine Across the Sea 2003, Maui, Hawaii, July 29, 2003.
- Osseous Complications after Partial Resection of the Fibula; Poster Exhibit, Cervical Spine Research Society, 27th Annual Meeting, Seattle, Washington, December 16-18, 1999.
- New Threaded Interbody Device; International Intradiscal Therapy Society, Cambridge, England, August 1-5, 1999.
- New Threaded Interbody Device; Poster Exhibit, 6th International Meeting on Advanced Spine Techniques, Vancouver, Canada, July 8-10, 1999.
- Airway Compromise Following Cervical Decompression and Fusion; Poster Exhibit, North American Spine Society, San Francisco, CA, October 28, 1998.
- Outpatient Lumbar Disc Surgery; North American Spine Society, Vancouver, British Columbia, October 25, 1996.
- Factors Influencing the Results of Lumbar Discectomy; American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Las Vegas, NV, February, 1989.
- Low Back Pain Following Lumbar Discectomy; Poster Exhibit, International Society for Study of the Lumbar Spine, Miami Beach, FL, April, 1988.
- Use of Posterior Zielke Pedicular Fixation in Lumbar Fusion; D. Shapiro, D. Kraus, North American Spine Society, Colorado Springs, CO, July, 1988.
- Carpectomy and Strut Graft In Cervical Spondylosis; Cervical Spine Research Society, Washington, DC, December 2-6, 1987
- Use of Allograft Bone in Anterior Cervical Fusion; Cervical Spine Research Society, Washington, DC, December 2-6, 1987.
- Combined Patellar Tendon Elevation and Realignment; New England Orthopaedic Society, Boston, MA, November 1986.
- Management of the Hip in Cerebral Palsy; American Academy of Pediatrics, Orthopaedic Division, Washington, DC, October 1986.
- Management of the Hip in Cerebral Palsy; International Congress for Neuromuscular Disease, Los Angeles, CA, June 1986.
- Management of the Hip in Cerebral Palsy; AOA Poster Exhibit, Washington, DC, May 1978.