Timothy A. Sanborn, MD
Department of Medicine
Division of Cardiology
Head, Division of Cardiology
- Undergraduate: BA, Zoology, University of Wisconsin
- Graduate: MS, Physiological Chemistry, University of Wisconsin
- Medical School: MD, Medicine, Northwestern University Medical School
- Residency: Internal Medicine, Boston City Hospital
- Fellowship: Cardiology, University Hospital
- Fellowship: Cardiovascular Research, Boston University School of Medicine
Academic and Administrative Appointments
- (1982-1986) Assistant Professor of Medicine
- (1986-1987) Associate Professor of Medicine
- (1983-1987) Associate Director, Cardiovascular Research Laboratory, University Hospital, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY
- (1987-1991) Associate Professor of Medicine
- (1987-1991) Director, Interventional Cardiology Research, Mt. Sinai Hospital
- (1990-1991) Associate Director, Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory, Mt. Sinai Hospital
- (1991-2000) Professor Medicine, Cornell University Medical College, New York, NY
- (1991-2000) Director, Cardiac Catheterization Lab, New York Presbyterian Hospital
- (2000-present) Vice Chairman, Dept of Medicine, NorthShore University HealthSystem, Evanston, IL
- (2000-present) Head, Division of Cardiology, NorthShore University HealthSystem, Evanston, IL
- (2001-present) Member, Promotions Committee
- (2000-present) NorthShore University HealthSystem: Co-Chairman, Cardiovascular Care Center
- (1983-1987) NHLBI PTCA Registry Investigator: Comparison of Complications During Percutaneous Transluminal Coronary Angioplasty
- (present) Executive Committee: NHLBI PTCA III-Multidevice Registry: New Approaches to Coronary Intervention (NACI)
- (1988-1995) Editorial Board: Journal of the American College of Cardiology, Journal of Invasive Cardiology, Journal of International Cardiology, Lasers in Surgery and Medicine
- (1990-1995) Principal Investigator: US Multicenter Randomized Trial of Datascope Collagen Vascular-Hemostasis Device
- (2000-2002) Member: Diagnostic and Interventional Catheterization Committee, Council of Clinical Cardiology, American Heart Association,
- (2001-present) Board of Councilors, Illinois Chapter, American College of Cardiology
Publications in Peer-Review Journals:
- Holmes DR, Sameer M, George CJ, Margolis JR, Leon MB, Isner JM, Bittl JA, King SB, Siegel RM, Sketch MH, Cowley MJ, Roubin GS, Brinker JA, Overlie PA, Tcheng J, Sanborn TA, Litvack F. Excimer Laser Coronary Angioplasty: The new approaches to coronary intervention (NACI) experience. Am J Cardiol 80 (10A): 99K-105K, 1997.
- Hannan EL, van Ryn M, Burke J, Stone D, Dumar D, Arani D, Pierce W, Rafii S, Sanborn TA, Sharma S, Slater J, DeBuono BA. Access to Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery by Race/Ethnicity and Gender Among Patients Who are Appropriate for Surgery. Medical Care 37: 68-77, 1999
- Sanborn TA. History of cadiac catheterization. Cardiovascular Reviews and Reports 20: 41-55, 1999.
- Shaknovich A, Forman ST, Parikh MA, Deutsch E, Bergman GW, McCaffrey TA, Newman GC, Tarazona, N, Sanborn TA. Novel Distal Occluder-Wash Out Method for Prevention of No-Reflow During Stenting of Saphenous Vein Grafts. Cathet Cardiovas Intervent 47: 397-403, 1999.
- Rosengart TK, Lee LY, Patel SR, Sanborn TA, Parikh M, Bergman GW, Hachamovitch R, Szulc M, Kligfield PD,Okin PM, Hahn RT, Devereux RB, Post MR, Hackett NR, Foster T, Grasso TM, Lesser ML, Isom OW, Crystal RG.Angiogenesis Gene Therapy:Phase I Assessment of Direct Intramyocardial Administration of an Adenovirus Vector Experssing the VEGF1212 cDNA to Individuals with Clinically Significant Severe Coronary Artery Disease. Circulation 100: 468-474, 1999.
- Hochman JS, Sleeper LA, Webb JG, Sanborn TA, White HD, Talley JD, Buller CE, Jacobs AK, Slater JN, Col J, McKinlay SM, LeJemtel TH for the SHOCK Investigators. Early Revascularization in Acute Myocardial Infarction Complicated by Cardiogenic Shock. N Engl J Med 341: 625-634, 1999.
- Jauhar R, Bertman G, Savino S, Deutsch E, Shaknovich A, Parikh M, Sanborn TA. Aspirin and Clopidogrel Combination Therapy in Coronary Stenting. Am J Cardiol 84:726-728, 1999.
- Hochman JS, Sleeper LA, Godfrey E, McKinlay SM, Sanborn T, Col J, LeJemtel T. Should We Emergently Revascularize Occluded Coronaries for Cardiogenic Shock: An International Randomized Trial of Emergency PTCA/CABG: Trial Design. Am Heart J 137:313-321, 1999.
- Lee LY, Patel SR, Hackett NR, Mack CA, Polce DR, El-Sawy T, Hachamovitch R, Zanzonico P, Sanborn TA, Parikh M, Isom OW, Crystal RG, Rosengart TK. Focal Angiogen Therapy Using Intramyocardial Delivery of an Adenovirus Vector Coding for Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor 121. Ann Thorac Surg 69:14-24, 2000.
- Hochman JS, Buller CE, Sleeper LA, Boland J, Dzavik, Sanborn TA, Godfrey E, White HD, Lim J, LeJemtel for the SHOCK Investigators. Cardiogenic Shock Complicating Acute Myocardial Infarction – Etiologies, Management and Outcome: A Report from the SHOCK Trial Registry. J Am Coll Cardiol 36:1063-1070, 2000.
- Sanborn TA, Sleeper LA, Bates ER, Jacobs AK, Boland J, French JK, Dens J, Dzavik V, Palmeri ST, Webb JG, Goldberger M, Hochman JS for the SHOCK Investigators. Impact of Thrombolysis, Intra-aortic Balloon Pump Counterpulsation, and Their Combination in Cardiogenic Shock Complicating Acute Myocardial Infarction: A Report from the SHOCK Trial Registry. J Am Coll Cardiol 36:1123-1129, 2000.
- Wong SC, Sanborn T, Sleeper LA, Webb JG, Pilchik R, Hart D, Mejnartowicz S, Antonelli TA, Lange R, French JK, Bergman G, LeJemtel T, Hochman JS for the SHOCK Investigators. Angiographic Findings and Clinical Correlates in Patients with Cardiogenic Shock Complicating Acute Myocardial Infarction: A Report from the SHOCK Trial Registry. J Am Coll Cardiol 36:1077-1083, 2000.
- Dangas G, Ambrose JA, Rehmann D, Marmur JD, Sharma SK, Hemdal-Monsen C, Sanborn TA, Fischman DL. Balloon Optimization versus Stent Study (BOSS): Provisional Stenting and Early Recoil After Balloon Angioplasty. Am J Cardiol 85:957-961, 2000.
- Oesterle SN, Sanborn TA, Ali N, Resar J, Ramee SR, Heuser R, Dean L, Knopf W, Schofield P, Schaer G, Reeder G, Madsen R, Yeung AC, Burkhoff D. Percutaneous Transmyocardial Laser Revascularization for Severe Angina: the PACIFIC Randomised Trial. Lancet 356:1705-1710, 2000.
- Sanborn TA, Hackett NR, Lee LY, El-Sawy T, Blanco I, Tarazona N, Deutsch E, Crystal RG, Rosengart TK. Percutaneous Endocardial Transfer and Expression of Genes to the Myocardium Utilizing Fluoroscopic Guidance. Cathet and Cardiovasc Intervent 52:260-266, 2001.