Department of Neurology
Director, Women's Neurology Center at Glenbrook Hospital
- Undergraduate: BS, Speech Pathology, School of Speech, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
- Graduate: MS, Speech Pathology, School of Speech, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
- Medical School: MD, University of Illinois College of Medicine, Rockford, IL
- Internship: Lutheran General Hospital, Park Ridge, IL
- Residency: Neurology, Northwestern University Medical Center, Chicago, IL
- Fellowship: Neurophysiology, Northwestern University Medical Center, Chicago, IL
Dr. Rubin is currently doing research on The Spectrum of Headaches in Clinical Practice: A Prospective Survey of Patients’ Headache Types, Characteristics and Treatment. She is also interested in doing research in Multiple Sclerosis and Epilepsy and has done so in the past.
Honors and Awards
- Peer Reviewer for the journal, Headache, May 2000
- Voted on of Chicago's best doctors in Neurology as listed in: How to Find the Best Doctors - Chicago Metropolitan Area, Castle Connolly Guide, 1999; Top Doctors: Chicago Metro Area, Castle Connolly Guide, 2000; America's Top Doctors, Castle Connolly Guide, 2000
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, 1987
- Edward R. Henderson Memorial Student Award for Geriatric Research-presented to the student in the state of Illinois for papers in geriatrics by the Murer Healthcare Consultants and the Gerontology Center of the University of Illinois-Chicago, 1988
- E.A. Codman Award for Research, 1988
- Outstanding University of Illinois Medical School James Scholar Award for Independent Study, 1988
- Large Book Award for Enthusiasm for Learning, 1986
- American Academy of Neurology
- American Headache Society
- American Epilepsy Society
Publications in Peer-Review Journals:
- Subspecialty editor - Neurology section: AMA Complete Medical Encyclopedia, in press.
- Rubin SM. Managing Epilepsy During Pregnancy: Special Concerns and Considerations. Resident and Staff Physician, supplement pp.33-38, July 1994.
- Lazar RB, Rubin SM. Speech Therapy and Communicative Disorders in Neurologic Rehabilitation. In: Handbook of Neurorehabilitation. Marcel Dekker, Inc., 1993.
- Miller B, Glasser M, Rubin S. A Paradox of Medicalization: Physicians, Families and Alzheimer's Disease. Journal of Aging Studies 6:135-148, 1992.
- Glasser ML, Rubin SM, Dickover M. The Caregiver View of Help from the Physician. The American Journal of Alzheimer's Care and Related Disorders and Research, pp.4-11, July/August 1989.
- Rubin SM, Glasser ML, Werckle MA. The Examination of Physician's Awareness of Dementing Disorders. Journal of the American Geriatric Society 35:1051-1058, 1987.