Goutham Rao, MD
Department of Family Medicine
Vice Chair for Academic Affairs for NorthShore and University of Chicago Departments of Family Medicine
Center for Clinical and Research Informatics
Associate Director, Primary Care Research Informatics
- Undergraduate: BSc, Physiology (awarded with Great Distinction), McGill University, Montreal, PQ Canada (1985-1989).
- Medical School: MD, CM (Doctor of Medicine), McGill University, School of Medicine, Montreal, PQ Canada (1989-1993).
- Residency: Family Medicine, Residency/CCFP, St. Joseph's Health Centre/U niversity of Toronto, Toronto, ON Canada (1993-1995).
- Fellowship: Faculty Development Fellowship, UPMC St. margaret Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA (1996-1997).
- Physician Leadership Program, University of Pittsburgh-katz Graduate School of Business (2007).
Honors and Awards
- Kenneth E. Schuit Dean's Master Educator Award, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (2008).\
- Accepted as Member, Academy of Master Educators, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (2006-2010).
- Outstanding Community-Based Educator Award, Pennsylvania State University, College of Medicine (2003-2005).
- Family Medicine Teaching Award, Department of Family Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (2004).
- Nominee, Excellence in Medical Education Award, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (2003).
- Nominee, Excellence in Medical Education Award, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (2002).
- Best Educational Information Technology Application, Scientific Assembly of the American Academy of Family Physicians, Dallas, TX (2000).
- (1996-present) Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
- (2000-present) American Acdemy of Family Physicians
- (1996-present) North American Primary Care Research Group
- (2000-2002) Society for Medical Decision Making
- (2000-present) Pennsylvania Academy of Family Physicians
- (1995-present) College of Family Physicians of Canada
Publications in Peer-Review Journals:
- Rao G, Krall J, Loewenstein G. An internet-based pediatric weight management program with and without financial incentives: A randomized trial. Childhood Obesity 2011:7(2): 122-8.
- Rao G. The big five: A starting point for those on the front line. Childhood Obesity 2010;6(5): 282-3.
- Rao G, Kanter SL. Physician numeracy as the basis for evidence-based medicine curriculum. Acad Med; 2010;85(11): 1794-9.
- Rao G. Office-based strategies for the management of obesity. Am Fam Physician 2010;81(12): 1449-55.
- Rao G, Arslanian SA. Office-based evaluation and management of the obese adolescent with metabolic syndrome. Obesity Management 2009;5(5):229-36.
- Rao G. Probability error in diagnosis: The conjunction fallacy among beginning medical students. Fam Med 2009;41(4):262-5.
- Rao G. Child obesity. Highlights of AMA practice recommendations. Am Fam Physician 2008;78(1): 56-63.
- Rao G. Physician numeracy: Essential skills for practicing evidence-based medicine. Fam Med 2008;354-8.
- Rao G. Management of GERD. J Fam Pract 2005;54(12): s3-8.
- Rao G. Pediatric obesity-related counseling in the outpatient setting. Amb Peds 2005;5(6):377-9.
- Rao G, Fisch L, Srinivasan S, D’amico F, Okada T, Eaton C, Robbins C. Does this patient have Parkinson’s disease? JAMA 2003;289:347-53.
- Rao G. Diagnostic yield of screening for type 2 diabetes in high-risk patients: A systematic review. Journal of Family Practice 1999;48(10):805-10.
- Rao G, Aliwalas MG, Slaymaker E, Brown B. Bismuth revisited: a safe, effective treatment for travelers’ diarrhea. J Travel Med 2004; 11(4): 239-41.
- Rao G. Insulin resistance syndrome. American Family Physician 2001;63(6):1159-63.
- Hannon TS, Rao G, Arslanian SA. Childhood obesity and type 2 diabetes. Pediatrics 2005; 116: 473 - 80.
- Rao G, Davis RH, Peura DA, Wright WL. Heartburn: issues in patient management. A roundtable discussion. J Fam Pract 2005;54(6): s1-6.
- Merenstein JH, Rao G, D’amico F. Clinical research in family medicine: an assessment of quality and quantity of published articles. Fam Med 2003;35(4):284-8.
- Rao G. Introduction of handheld computing to a family practice residency program. J Am Board Fam Pract 2002;15(2):118-22.
- Rao G. Teaching residents about clinical practice guidelines using the Internet. Fam Med 2001;33(8):570.
- Rao G. What is an ROC curve? J Fam Pract 2003;52(9):695.
- Rao G. Number needed to treat. J Fam Pract 2003;52(11):866.
- Rao G. Interpretation of confidence intervals. J Fam Pract 2003;52(12):970.
- Rao G. A medical error averted. Int Pediatrics 2003;18(2):67-8.
- Rao G. Handheld computers for practical use of clinical practice guidelines. Evid. Based Med. 2003;8: 68-70.
- Rao G. Remembering the meanings of sensitivity, specificity, and predictive values. J Fam Pract 2004;53(1):53.
- Rao G. The problem with Ps. J Fam Pract 2004;53(3):192.
- Mahaniah KJ, Rao G. Intention-to-treat analysis: protecting the integrity of randomization. J Fam Pract 2004; 53(8): 644.
- Okada T, Rao G. Using the likelihood ratio. J Fam Pract 2005;54(2):127-8.
- Rao G. Rational Medical Decision Making: A Case-Based Approach. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2006. (An interactive problem-based text covering the essentials of biostatistics, clinical epidemiology, and decision science for physicians.)
- Rao G. Child Obesity: A Parent’s Guide to a Fit, Trim and Happy Child. Amherst, NY: Prometheus Books; 2006.
- Rao G. Primary Care Management: Cases and Discussions. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 1999. (A textbook for medical students that uses fictional stories to explore common problems in primary care supplemented by questions for discussions and evidence-based suggested responses).
- Rao G. Cirrhosis. In: Rakel R (ed). Saunders Manual of Medical Practice, 2nd ed. Orlando, FL: WB Saunders Company, 2000:496-8.
- Rao G. Movement Disorders. In: South-Paul JE, Matheny SC, Lewis EL, editors. Current diagnosis & treatment in family medicine. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2004. p. 561-72.
- Rao G. Tremors and Other Movement Disorders. In: Mengel MB, Schwiebert LP, editors. Family Medicine. Ambulatory care and prevention. New York: Lange; 2005. p.364-9.
- Rao G. Parkinson Disease. In: Simel DL and Rennie D, eds. The Rational Clinical Examination. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2008: 513-514.
Peer Review Service:
- Rao G. Carvedilol reduced mortality and hospitalization in severe chronic heart failure. (Commentary) ACP Journal Club 2001;135(3):84-5.
- Srinivasan S, Rao G. Does using nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) during pregnancy increase the risk of adverse events? J Fam Pract 2001;50(5):467.
- Rao G. Attendance at an asthma clinic did not reduce asthma morbidity more than did standard medical treatment. (Commentary) ACP Journal Club 2000;132(2):51.
- Rao G. A nicotine patch plus nicotine nasal spray was more effective than a nicotine patch alone for smoking cessation. (Commentary) ACP Journal Club 1999;131(1):12-13.
- Rao G. Venipuncture or heel lancing for neonatal blood testing. POEMs. J Fam Pract 1998; 47(2):93-4.
- Rao G. Aspirin preparation and risk of GI bleeding. Journal Club Review. J Fam Pract 1997;44(3):242-3.
- Rao G. Patient satisfaction with antibiotic use. Journal Club Review. J Fam Pract 1996;43(5):56-62.