Department of Family Medicine
Vice Chair for Academic Affairs for NorthShore and University of Chicago Departments of Family Medicine
Associate Director, Biomedical Research Informatics
Center for Biomedical Research Informatics
- Undergraduate: BSc, Physiology (awarded with Great Distinction), McGill University, Montreal, PQ Canada (1985-1989).
- Medical School: MD, CM (Doctor of Medicine), McGill University, School of Medicine, Montreal, PQ Canada (1989-1993).
- Residency: Family Medicine, Residency/CCFP, St. Joseph's Health Centre/U niversity of Toronto, Toronto, ON Canada (1993-1995).
- Fellowship: Faculty Development Fellowship, UPMC St. margaret Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA (1996-1997).
- Physician Leadership Program, University of Pittsburgh-katz Graduate School of Business (2007).
Honors and Awards
- Kenneth E. Schuit Dean's Master Educator Award, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (2008).\
- Accepted as Member, Academy of Master Educators, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (2006-2010).
- Outstanding Community-Based Educator Award, Pennsylvania State University, College of Medicine (2003-2005).
- Family Medicine Teaching Award, Department of Family Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (2004).
- Nominee, Excellence in Medical Education Award, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (2003).
- Nominee, Excellence in Medical Education Award, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (2002).
- Best Educational Information Technology Application, Scientific Assembly of the American Academy of Family Physicians, Dallas, TX (2000).
- (1996-present) Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
- (2000-present) American Acdemy of Family Physicians
- (1996-present) North American Primary Care Research Group
- (2000-2002) Society for Medical Decision Making
- (2000-present) Pennsylvania Academy of Family Physicians
- (1995-present) College of Family Physicians of Canada
Publications in Peer-Review Journals:
- Rao G, Krall J, Loewenstein G. An internet-based pediatric weight management program with and without financial incentives: A randomized trial. Childhood Obesity 2011:7(2): 122-8.
- Rao G. The big five: A starting point for those on the front line. Childhood Obesity 2010;6(5): 282-3.
- Rao G, Kanter SL. Physician numeracy as the basis for evidence-based medicine curriculum. Acad Med; 2010;85(11): 1794-9.
- Rao G. Office-based strategies for the management of obesity. Am Fam Physician 2010;81(12): 1449-55.
- Rao G, Arslanian SA. Office-based evaluation and management of the obese adolescent with metabolic syndrome. Obesity Management 2009;5(5):229-36.
- Rao G. Probability error in diagnosis: The conjunction fallacy among beginning medical students. Fam Med 2009;41(4):262-5.
- Rao G. Child obesity. Highlights of AMA practice recommendations. Am Fam Physician 2008;78(1): 56-63.
- Rao G. Physician numeracy: Essential skills for practicing evidence-based medicine. Fam Med 2008;354-8.
- Rao G. Management of GERD. J Fam Pract 2005;54(12): s3-8.
- Rao G. Pediatric obesity-related counseling in the outpatient setting. Amb Peds 2005;5(6):377-9.
- Rao G, Fisch L, Srinivasan S, D’amico F, Okada T, Eaton C, Robbins C. Does this patient have Parkinson’s disease? JAMA 2003;289:347-53.
- Rao G. Diagnostic yield of screening for type 2 diabetes in high-risk patients: A systematic review. Journal of Family Practice 1999;48(10):805-10.
- Rao G, Aliwalas MG, Slaymaker E, Brown B. Bismuth revisited: a safe, effective treatment for travelers’ diarrhea. J Travel Med 2004; 11(4): 239-41.
- Rao G. Insulin resistance syndrome. American Family Physician 2001;63(6):1159-63.
- Hannon TS, Rao G, Arslanian SA. Childhood obesity and type 2 diabetes. Pediatrics 2005; 116: 473 - 80.
- Rao G, Davis RH, Peura DA, Wright WL. Heartburn: issues in patient management. A roundtable discussion. J Fam Pract 2005;54(6): s1-6.
- Merenstein JH, Rao G, D’amico F. Clinical research in family medicine: an assessment of quality and quantity of published articles. Fam Med 2003;35(4):284-8.
- Rao G. Introduction of handheld computing to a family practice residency program. J Am Board Fam Pract 2002;15(2):118-22.
- Rao G. Teaching residents about clinical practice guidelines using the Internet. Fam Med 2001;33(8):570.
- Rao G. What is an ROC curve? J Fam Pract 2003;52(9):695.
- Rao G. Number needed to treat. J Fam Pract 2003;52(11):866.
- Rao G. Interpretation of confidence intervals. J Fam Pract 2003;52(12):970.
- Rao G. A medical error averted. Int Pediatrics 2003;18(2):67-8.
- Rao G. Handheld computers for practical use of clinical practice guidelines. Evid. Based Med. 2003;8: 68-70.
- Rao G. Remembering the meanings of sensitivity, specificity, and predictive values. J Fam Pract 2004;53(1):53.
- Rao G. The problem with Ps. J Fam Pract 2004;53(3):192.
- Mahaniah KJ, Rao G. Intention-to-treat analysis: protecting the integrity of randomization. J Fam Pract 2004; 53(8): 644.
- Okada T, Rao G. Using the likelihood ratio. J Fam Pract 2005;54(2):127-8.
- Rao G. Rational Medical Decision Making: A Case-Based Approach. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2006. (An interactive problem-based text covering the essentials of biostatistics, clinical epidemiology, and decision science for physicians.)
- Rao G. Child Obesity: A Parent’s Guide to a Fit, Trim and Happy Child. Amherst, NY: Prometheus Books; 2006.
- Rao G. Primary Care Management: Cases and Discussions. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 1999. (A textbook for medical students that uses fictional stories to explore common problems in primary care supplemented by questions for discussions and evidence-based suggested responses).
- Rao G. Cirrhosis. In: Rakel R (ed). Saunders Manual of Medical Practice, 2nd ed. Orlando, FL: WB Saunders Company, 2000:496-8.
- Rao G. Movement Disorders. In: South-Paul JE, Matheny SC, Lewis EL, editors. Current diagnosis & treatment in family medicine. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2004. p. 561-72.
- Rao G. Tremors and Other Movement Disorders. In: Mengel MB, Schwiebert LP, editors. Family Medicine. Ambulatory care and prevention. New York: Lange; 2005. p.364-9.
- Rao G. Parkinson Disease. In: Simel DL and Rennie D, eds. The Rational Clinical Examination. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2008: 513-514.
Peer Review Service:
- Rao G. Carvedilol reduced mortality and hospitalization in severe chronic heart failure. (Commentary) ACP Journal Club 2001;135(3):84-5.
- Srinivasan S, Rao G. Does using nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) during pregnancy increase the risk of adverse events? J Fam Pract 2001;50(5):467.
- Rao G. Attendance at an asthma clinic did not reduce asthma morbidity more than did standard medical treatment. (Commentary) ACP Journal Club 2000;132(2):51.
- Rao G. A nicotine patch plus nicotine nasal spray was more effective than a nicotine patch alone for smoking cessation. (Commentary) ACP Journal Club 1999;131(1):12-13.
- Rao G. Venipuncture or heel lancing for neonatal blood testing. POEMs. J Fam Pract 1998; 47(2):93-4.
- Rao G. Aspirin preparation and risk of GI bleeding. Journal Club Review. J Fam Pract 1997;44(3):242-3.
- Rao G. Patient satisfaction with antibiotic use. Journal Club Review. J Fam Pract 1996;43(5):56-62.