Department of Radiology
- Undergraduate: BS, Computer Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Graduate: MS, Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University
- Postgraduate: PhD, Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University
My research interests lie in the development and translation of advanced magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) technologies for diagnosing and studying human disease. Select areas of recent research activity include the development of accurate MRI methods for angiography (depicting blood vessels) without the use of contrast agents, and MRI technologies for measuring and characterizing atherosclerotic vascular disease and its response to therapy.
Academic and Administrative Appointments
- Assistant Professor (part-time), Department of Radiology, The University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine
Honors and Awards
- Jules D. Falzer Memorial Scholarship, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2000
- Frank C. Mock Scholarship, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2001
- Dr. John N. Nicholson Fellowship, The Graduate School, Northwestern University, 2003
- Invited Young Scientist, Lindau Nobel Laureate Meeting, 2005
- Research Scholar Award, The Auxiliary of Evanston Northwestern Healthcare, 2007
- Pohost Best Paper Award Finalist, Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance, 2008
- Scientist Development Award, American Heart Association, 2008
- Distinguished Reviewer, Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 2011
- Distinguished Reviewer, Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, 2012
- Member, International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine
- Member, Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance
- Scientific Grant Reviewer, American Heart Association
Publications in Peer-Review Journals:
- R.R. Edelman, O. Flanagan, D. Grodzki, S. Giri and I. Koktzoglou. “Projection MR Imaging of Peripheral Calcifications,” Magn Reson Med, 2014; doi: 10.1002/mrm.25320. [Epub ahead of print].
- I. Koktzoglou, J.R. Meyer, W.J. Ankenbrandt, S. Giri, D. Piccini, M.O. Zenge, O. Flanagan, T. Desai, N. Gupta and R.R. Edelman. “Arterial Spin Labeled Carotid MR Angiography Using 3D Radial Balanced Steady State Free Precession Imaging,” J Magn Reson Imaging, 2014; doi: 10.1002/jmri.24640. [Epub ahead of print].
- P. Amin, I. Koktzoglou, J.D. Collins, J.C. Carr and R.R. Edelman. “Evaluating Peripheral Arterial Disease with Nonenhanced Quiescent-Interval Single-Shot MR Angiography at 3 Tesla,” AJR Am J Roentgenol, 2014; Apr;202(4):886-93.
- I. Koktzoglou, C.A. Mistretta, S. Giri, P. Amin and R.R. Edelman. “Simultaneous static and cine nonenhanced MR angiography using radial sampling and highly constrained back projection reconstruction,” Magn Reson Med, 2013; Nov 11. doi: 10.1002/mrm.25008. [Epub ahead of print].
- H. Tan, I. Koktzoglou and P.V. Prasad. “Renal Perfusion Imaging with Two-Dimensional Navigator Gated Arterial Spin Labeling,” Magn Reson Med, 2013; doi: 10.1002/mrm.24692. [Epub ahead of print].
- I. Koktzoglou. “4D Dark Blood Arterial Wall Magnetic Resonance Imaging: Methodology and Demonstration in the Carotid Arteries,” Magn Reson Med, 2013; 69(4):956-65.
- R.R. Edelman, E.E. Dunkle, S. Giri, M. Galizia, P. Amin and I. Koktzoglou. “Quiescent-Inflow Single-Shot (QISS) Magnetic Resonance Angiography Using a Highly Undersampled Radial K-Space Trajectory,” Magn Reson Med, 2012; 70(6):1662-8.
- I. Koktzoglou. “Gray Blood Magnetic Resonance for Carotid Arterial Wall Imaging and Visualization of Deep-Seated and Superficial Vascular Calcifications,” Magn Reson Med, 2012; 70(1):75-85.
- H. Tan, I. Koktzoglou, C. Glielmi and R.R. Edelman. “Optimization of Single Shot 3D Breath-hold Nonenhanced MR Angiography of the Renal Arteries,” J Cardiovasc Magn Reson, 2012;19:30.
- E.J. Offerman, I. Koktzoglou, C. Glielmi, A. Sen and R.R. Edelman. “Prospective Self-Gated Nonenhanced Magnetic Resonance Angiography of the Peripheral Arteries,” Magn Reson Med, 2012; 69:158-62.
- F.E. Mordini, I. Koktzoglou and R.R. Edelman. “Time-Resolved Spin-Labeled Balanced Steady-State Free Precession Cineangiography for Visualizing Intracardiac Shunt: Technical Considerations and Clinical Feasibility,” Magn Reson Med, 2012; 68:1798-806.
- P.A. Hodnett, E.V. Ward, A.H. Davarpanah, T.A. Scanlon, J.D. Collins, C.B. Glielmi, X. Bi, I. Koktzoglou, N. Gupta, J.C. Carr and R.R. Edelman. “Peripheral Arterial Disease in a Symptomatic Diabetic Population: Prospective Comparison of Rapid Unenhanced MR Angiography (MRA) with Contrast-Enhanced MRA,” AJR A J Roentgenol, 2011; 197:1466-73.
- I. Koktzoglou, N. Gupta and R.R. Edelman. “Non-Enhanced Extracranial Carotid MR Angiography Using Arterial Spin Labeling: Improved Performance with Pseudocontinuous Tagging,” J Magn Reson Imaging, 2011; 34:384-94.
- P.A. Hodnett, I. Koktzoglou, A.H. Davarpanah, T.G. Scanlon, J.D. Collins, J.J. Sheehan, E.E. Dunkle, N. Gupta, J.C. Carr and R.R. Edelman. “Evaluation of peripheral arterial disease with nonenhanced quiescent-interval single shot MR angiography,” Radiology, 2011; 260:282-93.
- E.J. Offerman, P.A. Hodnett, R.R Edelman, and I. Koktzoglou. “Nonenhanced Methods for Lower-Extremity MRA: A Phantom Study Examining the Effects of Stenosis and Pathologic Waveforms at 1.5T,” J Magn Reson Imaging, 2011, 33:401-408.
- I. Koktzoglou, J.J. Sheehan, E.E. Dunkle, F.A. Breuer and R.R. Edelman. “Highly-accelerated contrast-enhanced MR angiography: improved reconstruction accuracy and reduced noise amplification with complex subtraction,” Magn Reson Med, 2010; 64:1843-8.
- M. Haque, I. Koktzoglou and P.V. Prasad. “Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Liver Using BOLD MRI: Effect of Glucose,” J Magn Reson Imaging, 2010; 32:988-91.
- K.S. McCommis, I. Koktzoglou, H. Zhang, T.A. Goldstein, B.E. Northrup, D. Li, R.J. Gropler and J. Zheng. “Improvement of hyperemic myocardial oxygen extraction fraction estimation by a diffusion-prepared sequence,” Magn Reson Med, 2010; 63:1675-82.
- Y. Wu, A.B. Ragin, H. Du, S. Sidharthan, E.E. Dunkle, I. Koktzoglou and R.R. Edelman. “Sub-millimeter isotropic MRI for segmentation of subcortical brain regions and brain visualization,” J Magn Reson Imaging, 2010; 31:980-6.
- S.A Tsaftaris, E.J. Offerman, R.R. Edelman and I. Koktzoglou, “Fully Automated Reconstruction of Ungated Ghost Magnetic Resonance Angiograms,” J Magn Reson Imaging, 2010; 31:655-62.
- R.R. Edelman, J.J. Sheehan, E.E. Dunkle, N. Schindler, J.C. Carr and I. Koktzoglou, “Quiescent interval single shot unenhanced magnetic resonance angiography of peripheral vascular disease: technical considerations and clinical feasibility,” Magn Reson Med, 2010; 63:951-8.
- R. Dharmakumar, Z. Zhang, I. Koktzoglou, S.A. Tsaftaris, D. Li, “Dual Contrast Cellular MRI,” Mol Imaging, 2009; 8:254-63.
- R.R. Edelman, I. Koktzoglou, W.J. Ankenbrandt and E.E. Dunkle, “Cerebral venography using fluid-suppressed STARFIRE,” Magn Reson Med, 2009; 61:1515-9.
- I. Koktzoglou and R.R. Edelman, “Ghost Magnetic Resonance Angiography,” Magn Reson Med, 2009; 61:1515-9.
- R.R. Edelman, E.E. Dunkle, I. Koktzoglou, A. Griffin, E.J. Russell, W.J. Ankenbrandt, A.B. Ragin and A. Carrillo, “Rapid Whole-Brain Magnetic Resonance Imaging with Isotropic Resolution at 3 Tesla,” Investigative Radiology, 2009; 44:54-9.
- I. Koktzoglou and R.R. Edelman, “STAR and STARFIRE for flow-dependent and flow-independent carotid MRA,” Magn Reson Med, 2009; 61:117-24.
- R.R. Edelman and I. Koktzoglou, “Unenhanced flow-independent MR venography by using signal targeting alternative radiofrequency and flow-independent relaxation enhancement,” Radiology, 2009; 250:236-45.
- I. Koktzoglou and R.R. Edelman, “Fast Projective Carotid MR Angiography with Arterial Spin-Labeled Balanced SSFP,” J Magn Reson Imaging, 2008; 28:778-82.
- R. Dharmakumar, I. Koktzoglou and D. Li, “Off-resonance positive contrast imaging of a passive endomyocardial catheter in swine,” Phys Med Biol, 2008; 53(13):N249-57.
- I. Koktzoglou, A. Kirpalani, T.J. Carroll, D. Li and J.C. Carr, “Dark-blood MRI of the thoracic aorta with 3D diffusion-prepared SSFP: initial clinical evaluation,” AJR A J Roentgenol, 2007; 189(4):966-72.
- I. Koktzoglou, D. Li and R. Dharmakumar, “Dephased FLAPS for improved visualization of susceptibility-shifted passive devices for real-time interventional MRI,” Phys Med Biol, 2007; 52:N277-86.
- R. Dharmakumar, I. Koktzoglou and D. Li D, “Factors influencing fast low angle positive contrast with steady-state free precession (FLAPS) magnetic resonance imaging,” Phys Med Biol, 2007; 52:3261-73.
- I. Koktzoglou and D. Li, “Sub-Millimeter Isotropic Resolution Carotid Wall MRI with Swallowing Compensation: Imaging Results and Semi-Automated Wall Morphometry,” J Magn Reson Imaging, 2007; 25:815–23.
- I. Koktzoglou, Y.C. Chung, T.J. Carroll, M.D. Morasch, O.P. Simonetti, and D. Li, “Three-Dimensional Black-Blood MR Imaging of the Carotid Arteries with Segmented Steady-State Free Precession – Initial Experience,” Radiology, 2007; 243:220-8.
- I. Koktzoglou and D. Li, “Diffusion-Prepared Segmented Steady-State Free Precession: Application to 3D Black-Blood Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance of the Thoracic Aorta and Carotid Arteries,” J Cardiovasc Magn Reson, 2007; 9:33-42.
- R. Dharmakumar, I. Koktzoglou, and D. Li, “Generating Positive Contrast from Off-Resonant Spins with Steady-State Free Precession Magnetic Resonance Imaging: Theory and Proof-of-Principle Experiments,” Phys Med Biol, 2006; 51:4201-15.
- I. Koktzoglou, Y.C. Chung, V. Mani, T.J. Carroll, M.D. Morasch, G. Mizsei, O.P. Simonetti, Z.A. Fayad, and D. Li, “Multi-slice Dark-Blood Carotid Artery Wall Imaging: A 1.5T and 3.0T Comparison,” J Magn Reson Imaging, 2006; 23:699-705.
- I. Koktzoglou, K.R. Harris, R. Tang, B.J. Kane, B. Misselwitz, H.J. Weinmann, B. Lu, A. Nagaraj, S.I. Roth, T.J. Carroll, D.D. McPherson, and D. Li, “Gadofluorine-Enhanced Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Carotid Atherosclerosis in Yucatan Miniswine,” Investigative Radiology, 2006; 41:299-304.
- I. Koktzoglou, O.P. Simonetti, and D. Li, “Coronary Artery Wall Imaging: Initial Experience at 3T,” J Magn Reson Imaging, 2005; 21:128-32.
Book Chapters: (selected)
- I. Koktzoglou, R.P. Lim, O. Flanagan and R.R. Edelman. “Non-contrast Enhanced MRA,” In Basic Principles of Cardiovascular MRI - Physics and Imaging Techniques, M. Syed, S. Raman and O.P. Simonetti, eds, Springer-Verlag, London, UK, 2014.
- M. Miyazaki, S. Sugiura, Y. Kassai, H. Kanazawa, RR. Edelman and I. Koktzoglou. “Flow-Dependent Noncontrast MR Angiography,” In Magnetic Resonance Angiography: Principles and Applications, J.C. Carr and T.J. Carroll, eds, Springer, New York, NY. 2011.
- I. Koktzoglou, J.C. Carr, T.J. Carroll, M.D. Morasch and D. Li. “Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Atherosclerotic Plaque,” In Modern Trends in Vascular Surgery: Carotid Artery Disease, M.K. Eskandari, W.H. Pearce, J. Yao, eds, People’s Medical Publishing House, Shelton, CT. 2010.
Peer Review Service:
- American Journal of Roentgenology
- Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Magnetic Resonance in Medicine
- Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance
- Magn. Reson. Materials in Physics Biology & Medicine
- NMR in Biomedicine
- Clinical Medicine Cardiology
- European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging
- PLOS ONE
- “System and Method for Ghost Magnetic Resonance Imaging”, US Patent 8,154,287.
- “Parallel-Accelerated Complex Subtraction MRI”, US Patent 8,274,284.
- “Time Resolved Spin Labeled MRI Cineangiography”, US Patent 12/767,956.
- “Method for Non-Contrast Enhanced Magnetic Resonance Angiography”, US Patent 8,744,551.