Jonathan C. Silverstein, MD, MS, FACS, FACMI
Center for Biomedical Research Informatics
Davis Family Chair of Informatics
Vice President, Biomedical Research Informatics
Head, Center for Biomedical Research Informatics
- Undergraduate: BS, Microbiology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, IL
MS, Clinical Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MS
- Graduate: MD, Medicine-Surgery, Washington University Medical School, St. Louis, MO and Informatics, Washington University
- Residency: Surgery, Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke’s, Chicago, IL
Jonathan C. Silverstein, Vice President, Clinical Research Informatics at NorthShore University HealthSystem (NorthShore) heads the Center for Clinical and Research Informatics (CCRI), whose mission is to preserve and improve human life through innovative collection and use of clinical data. CCRI builds upon NorthShore's award-winning electronic health record and extensive data warehouse to be a nationally recognized leader in informatics for clinical quality improvement and research. CCRI supports matrix staff reporting across NorthShore (e.g. Enterprise Data Warehouse team, Epic Optimization team) and is recruiting six faculty directors of informatics working across a wide range of medical domains and computational methods. Dr. Silverstein joined NorthShore after serving as the associate director of the Computation Institute at University of Chicago and Argonne National Laboratory where he became internationally known for his expertise, and federally funded research, in the application of advanced computing architectures to biomedicine; and on the design, implementation, and evaluation of high-performance collaboration and visualization environments for anatomic education and surgery. He is recognized as one of three founding scientific directors of the Chicago Biomedical Consortium; and was an attending general surgeon for seven years while he was a lead physician informatician for enterprise electronic medical record deployments at the University of Chicago and the University of Illinois at Chicago. Dr. Silverstein holds an M.D. from Washington University (St. Louis) and an M.S. from Harvard School of Public Health. He is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a Fellow of the American College of Medical Informatics.
Professional Memberships/Affiliations/Activities (excludes teaching, Hospital committees, panels)
- (1989-present) Member, American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA)
- (1995-present) Member, American Medical Association, Illinois State Medical Society and Chicago Medical
- (1997-present) Certified, American Board of Surgery
- (1997-2001) Physician advisor to Cerner Corporation for Physician Order Entry
- (1997-2003) Creator and Manager web-based Resident Case Log system (used by 5 universities)
- (1998-present) Member, Association for Academic Surgery, Illinois Surgical, and Chicago Surgical
- (1998, 2002) Special Emphasis Panel Reviewer for National Library of Medicine, NIH
- (1999-present) Fellow, American College of Surgeons and Member, Association for Surgical Education
- (1999-2001) Creator and Manager UIC Division of General Surgery clinical database
- (2000-2006) Member, Regents Committee on Informatics, American College of Surgeons
- (2002-2006) Member, Biomedical Library and Informatics Review Committee, NLM/NIH
- (2003-2009) Member, Association of Medical Directors of Information Systems
- (2003-2006) Member (Chair FY06), Board of Computing Activities and Services, University of Chicago
- (2003) Reviewer, NASA Peer Review Services
- (2003-present) Executive Committee, Computation Institute of The Univ. of Chicago and Argonne Natl. Lab.
- (2004-2009) Reviewer, Artificial Intel in Med, Future Gen Comp Sys, Clinical Anatomy, JBI, IJCARS, JAMIA, PLOS Medicine, MedNet, AMIA Symposium
- (2004-2008) Director, Biomedical Informatics Core, University of Chicago Biological Sciences Division
- (2006-present) Member, Board of Scientific Counselors, Lister Hill Center, National Library of Medicine/NIH
- (2007) Member, AMIA Symposium Scientific Program Committee
- (2007) Member, NIH Roadmap National Centers for Biomedical Computing Program Review
- (2007-present) Fellow, American College of Medical Informatics
Honors and Awards
- (1996) Resident Teacher of the Year, Department of Surgery, Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's
- (1999) Jerry and Thelma Stergios Award for Excellence in Basic Science, UIC Dept. of Surgery
- (2001) Class Act Award, University of Illinois at Chicago Medical Center
- (2002) Most Outstanding Faculty Poster Presentation, Charles B. Huggins Research Conference, The University of Chicago Department of Surgery
- (2004,2005) Top Five Poster Prize, Midwest Clinical Conference of Chicago Medical Society
- (2006) Finalist, CityLIGHTS Award, Illinois I.T. Association (ITA)
Publications in Peer-review Journals (from a total of 47 papers):
- Panko W, Silverstein JC, Lincoln T. Technologies for extracting the full value from electronic patient records. Proc Hawaii International Conf on System Sci; IEEE Computer Society Jan 1999.
- Silverstein JC, Dech F, Edison M, Jurek P, Helton WS, Espat NJ. Virtual Reality: Immersive Hepatic Surgery Educational Environment (IHSEE). Surgery. 2002 Aug;132(2):274-7.
- Silverstein JC, Dech F. Precisely Exploring Medical Models and Volumes in Collaborative Virtual Reality. Presence (MIT Press) Feb 2005; 14(1):47-59.
- Erberich SG, Silverstein JC, Chervenak A, Schuler R, Nelson M, Kesselman C. Globus MEDICUS: Federation of DICOM Medical Imaging Devices into Healthcare Grids. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2007;126:269-278.
- Silverstein JC, Walsh C, Dech F, Olsen E, Papka ME, Parsad N, Stevens R. Multi-Parallel Open Technology to Enable Collaborative Volume Visualization: How to Create Global Immersive Virtual Anatomy Classrooms. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2008;132:463-8.
- Silverstein JC, Parsad NM, Tsirline V. Automatic perceptual color map generation for realistic volume visualization. J Biomed Inform. 2008;41(6):927–935.
- Xiaoming Wang, Lili Liu, James Fackenthal, Shelly Cummings, Maggie Cook, Kisha Hope, Jonathan Silverstein, Olufunmilayo I Olopade. Translational Integrity and Continuity: Personalized Biomedical Data Integration. J Biomed Inform. 2008 Aug 12 [Epub ahead of print].
- Roach PB, Roggin KK, SelkovJr, E, Posner MC, Silverstein JC. The Use of a Novel, Web-based Educational Platform Facilitates Intraoperative Training in a Surgical Oncology Fellowship Program. Ann SurgOnc. 2009;16(5):1100-07.
- Yang Shen, Jonathan C. Silverstein, Steven Roth. In hospital complications and mortality after elective spinal fusion surgery in the United States: A study of the Nationwide Inpatient Sample from 2001 to 2005. Journal of Neurosurgical Anesthesiology 2009; 21(1):21-30.
- Roach, Paul B.; Silverstein, JC. Training fellows and core competency: "Making quality certain". Journal of Surgical Oncology. 2009; 99(2):83-4.
- Bernstam EV, Hersh WR, Johnson SB, Chute CG, Nguyen H, Sim I, Nahm M, Weiner M, Miller P,DiLaura RP, Overcash M, Lehmann HP, Eichmann D, Athey BD, Scheuermann RH, Anderson N, Starren JB, Harris PA, Smith JW, Barbour E, Silverstein JC, Krusch DA, Nagarajan R and Becich MJ. Synergies and Distinctions between Computational Disciplines in Biomedical Research: Perspective from the Clinical and Translational Science Award Programs. Acad Med. 2009 Jul; 84(7):964-70.
- Bernstam EV, William R Hersh, MD; Ida Sim, MD, PhD; David Eichmann, PhD;Jonathan C Silverstein, MD, MS; Jack W Smith, MD, PhD; Michael J Becich, MD, PhD. Unintended consequences of health information technology: a need for biomedical informatics. Journal of Biomedical Informatics. DOI:10.1016/j.jbi.2009.05.009.
- Roach PB, Roggin KK, SelkovJr, E, Posner MC, Silverstein JC. Continuous, data-rich appraisal of surgical trainees’ operative abilities: A novel approach for measuring performance and providing feedback. J Surg Educ. 2009 Sep-Oct; 66(5):255-63.
- Kaspar M, Parsad NM, Silverstein JC. CoWebViz: interactive collaborative sharing of 3D stereoscopic visualization among browsers with no added software. Proceedings of the 1st ACM International Health Informatics Symposium, IHI '10, November 11-12, 2010, Arlington, Virginia, USA. (2010) pp. 809-836.
- Kaspar M, Dech F, Parsad NM, Silverstein JC. Web-Based Stereoscopic Visualization for the Global Anatomy Classroom. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics. 2011; 264-270.
- Kyle Chard, Michael Russell, Yves A. Lussier, Eneida A Mendonça, Jonathan C. Silverstein. A Cloud-based Approach to Medical NLP [Accepted to American Medical Informatics Association 2011 Symposium Proceedings]
- Kyle Chard, Michael Russell, Yves A. Lussier, Eneida A Mendonça, Jonathan C. Silverstein. Scalability and Cost of a Cloud-based Approach to Medical NLP - [Accepted to IEEE Computer-Based Medical Systems 2011 Symposium Proceedings].
- Nathan M. Mollberg, DO, Nigel M. Parsad, MS, Samuel G. Armato III, PhD, JananiVigneswaran, BS, Hedy L. Kindler, MD, William F. Sensakovic, PhD, Ravi Salgia, MD, PhD, Jonathan C. Silverstein, MD, Wickii T. Vigneswaran, MD. 3D Stereoscopic Volume Rendering of Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma - [Accepted to International Surgery].