News & Media
NorthShore Neurological Institute News | Concussion and Head Injury News
Neurological Institute in the News
- Demetrius Maraganore, MD, and Katerina Markopoulou, MD, PhD, were featured in a March 21 Bloomberg news article on results of their Parkinson’s Disease research presented at the AAN Conference. Their work was also featured in a Michael J. Fox Foundation blogpost and on the Mayo Clinic website as well as NeuroTalk (Link not available).
- Evanston Hospital and NorthShore's Neurological Institute were recognized March 12 by Becker's Hospital Review as one of 100 Hospitals with Great Neurosurgery and Spine Programs.
- Elizabeth Pieroth, PsyD was featured in a Jan. 28 Hergamelife blog post on concucssion. (Link not available)
- Elizabeth Pieroth, PsyD, was quoted in a Feb.25 Patch article on concussion
- Elizabeth Pieroth, PsyD, was quoted in a Feb.27 Chicago Tribune article on concussion.
- Lori Lovitz, DO, was interviewed Jan. 10 by WGN TV news on new FDA regulations on sleep aids.
- Susan Rubin, MD, was quoted in a Dec. 19 Chicago Tribune article about new Multiple Sclerosis research and treatments.
- Elizabeth Pieroth, PsyD, was featured Jul. 31 in Elmhurst Patch and Chicago Health online articles announcing her joining the NorthShore Neurological Institute.
- Thomas Freedom, MD, was interviewed by NBC News for a Jul. 20 online article about Sleep.
- Egon Doppenberg, MD; Dean Karahalios, MD; Steven Mardjetko, MD; and Srdjan Mirkovic, MD are listed among the top 200 spine surgeons and specialists to know in the Mar. 7 Becker’s Orthopedic, Spine & Pain Management Review.
- Cathy Goldstein, MD, was featured in the Ask the Experts section of TCW Magazine on how winter affects sleep
- James Castle, MD appeared on the Jan. 23 WGN TV newscast commenting on strokes similar to Senator Mark Kirk’s.
- NorthShore Neurological Institute was listed in the Jan. 23 Becker’s Hospital Review as one of 101 hospitals with great spine and neurosurgery programs.
- Gail Rosseau, MD appeared live on Jan. 29 on Channel 5's Living Well program to talk about stroke.
- Hamad Farhat, MD was quoted in the Chicago Tribune for an article about cerebral cavernous malformation
- Jim Maraganore, MD "one-of-a-kind" research is discussed in The Glenview Lantern
- Gail Rosseau, MD discusses Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus (NPH) in Chicago Life Magazine
- Gail Rosseau, MD featured in Today's Chicago Woman Magazine
- Hamad Farhat, MD was quoted in the Chicago Tribune where he discussed the affects of High Blood Pressure
- Susan Rubin, MD was presented with the June Goslin Service Award by the Illinois Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society recognizing her outstanding achievement in the development and delivery of services to people living with MS
Concussion and Head Injury in the News
- Julian Bailes, MD, appeared on 670 the Score's Mully and Hanley show (Link not available).
- Julian Bailes, MD was interviewed on Jan. 25 on CBS Sports Network's Tim Brando Show and was quoted in a Jan. 26 Kansas City Star (Links not available). On Jan. 27 he was interviewed in The Times-West Virginian article regarding CTE research findings.
- Julian Bailes, MD appeared on ABC Houston KTRK TV 10 o'clock news Feb. 27 for a segment on concussion.
- Julian Bailes, MD was featured Feb.26 on WTTW's Chicago Tonight for a segment on concussion and helmet safety.
- Julian Bailes, MD was cited in a Feb.11 Advance for Physical Therapy &Rehab Medicine story about concussion and abnormal brain proteins.
- Julian Bailes, MD was featured live on ESPN Outside the Lines Feb. 7 (Evanston Hospital studio).
- Julian Bailes, MD, was featured Jan. 23 in the following news outlets for his research on identifying brain injury in living people: ESPN, CNN, USA Today, New York Times, Chicago Tribune, Fox News, ABC7 Chicago, CBS2 Chicago, Gizmodo, Yahoo! Sports Canada, Wired.com, Discovery.com, CBS National, PBS, WGN-TV, and Medill.
- Julian Bailes, MD, was interviewed Jan. 11 by USA TODAY on Junior Seau's autopsy results showing he suffered from CTE.
- Julian Bailes, MD, was interviewed by CNN Jan 11 for an article on autopsy findings for Junior Seau.
- Julian Bailes, MD, featured Oct. 20 and 21 on CNN discussing his innovative use of Omega 3 to treat traumatic brain injury.
- Julian Bailes, MD featured Oct. 7 on NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams in a segment on concussion risk in young players.
- Carrie Jaworski, MD was interviewed Jul. 28 about Sports Medicine and Olympic athletes on WGN-AM 720.
- Julian Bailes, MD was quoted in a Jul. 1 Chicago Sun-Times article on the new Pop Warner practice rules
- Julian Bailes, MD was quoted in the Jun. 24 edition of the Boston Globe on the new Pop Warner Football rules.
- Julian Bailes, MD was featured on the Tim Brando Show and Deadspin on Jun. 21 and was quoted on ChicagoHealth online Jun. 27 on the new Pop Warner football practice rules and Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy.
- Julian Bailes, MD was featured in a Jun. 20 Voice of America story on the new Pop Warner football rules.
- Julian Bailes, MD was quoted in an article about the new Pop Warner rules that ran on CNN.com and Education WeekJun. 13. In addition, stories ran on WGN-TV Medical Watch, ABC7 Chicago and theNew York Times, Philadelphia Inquirer, and Chicago Tribune Jun. 14.
- Julian Bailes, MD featured Jun. 12 on NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams and Jun. 13 on the Today Show about new Pop Warner rules.
- Julian Bailes, MD was featured May 24 on ABC Nightline about brain injuries.
- Julian Bailes, MD was featured May 3 in USA Today and on MSNBC regarding Junior Seau’s death. He was also featured May 4 in a USA Today update, ESPN and NBC Nightly News and May 8 in Bloomberg Business Week.
- Julian Bailes, MD was featured in a Feb. 22 BrainWorld post regarding research that suggests a collar could possibly reduce the effects of mild traumatic brain injury or concussion.
- Julian Bailes, MD, and Mark Bowen, MD, were featured in the March issue of Quintessential New Trier Magazineregarding sports injury.
- Julian Bailes, MD was featured in El Pais on concussion. (Spanish version)
- Julian Bailes, MD was featured as a concussion expert in a Feb. 2 Pittsburg Tribune-Review article.
- Julian Bailes, MD was featured in a Feb. 1 Chicago Health online article about concussions.
- Julian Bailes, MD was listed in the Jan. 5 Becker's Orthopaedic, Spine & Pain Management publication as one of 36 spine and neurosurgeons on the move in 2011.
- Julian Bailes, MD is interviewed in Time regarding sports related concussions and specifically, Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE)
- Julian Bailes, MD featured in Chicago Health Magazine about his research developing new potential solutions to concussions
- Julian Bailes, MD was interviewed by NBC Sports on concussion evaluations
Neurological Institute Videos
- Dean Karahalios, MD, discusses the importance of protecting children and athletes from head injuries.
View Video on NBC »
- NorthShore Neurological Institute physicians share their collaborative expertise on a variety of clinical specialties.
View Playlist »
- Hope for Stroke: How to Prevent It & Life After a Stroke
Issam Awad, MD
View Transcript »