« Previous Page
Asbestos is a substance that was used in building materials. The
substance can enter the body by being inhaled or swallowed. The substance
attaches to the lining of the respiratory and digestive tracts. Contact with
asbestos over time has been linked with cancer.
Most contact with asbestos is work-related. Some older homes may
still have asbestos insulation. Government environmental offices have
information on safety for asbestos contact and removal.
ByHealthwise StaffPrimary Medical ReviewerKathleen Romito, MD - Family MedicineSpecialist Medical ReviewerAdam Husney, MD - Family Medicine
Current as ofNovember 14, 2014
Current as of:
November 14, 2014
Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine
& Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine
How this information was developed to help you make better health decisions.
To learn more, visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2015 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.