The support and resources you need to pursue a successful career in Internal Medicine or a
sub-specialty. Outstanding preparation for transitional and preliminary year interns for their future training.
- Personalized attention – Program directors meet formally twice a year with every resident, setting goals, reviewing performance and providing feedback.
- Career connections – Program directors,faculty; and the Chairman use their relationships and knowledge to put residents in contact with people who can help their career.
- Internal medicine – After residency, a large number of house staff choose to practice here – in fact, almost half our faculty are graduates of our program.
- Fellowship matching – Two thirds or more of our graduates continue into traditional sub-specialty medicine, obtaining fellowships at institutions including the University of Michigan, University of Chicago, Northwestern, University of Pennsylvania, Beth Israel Deaconess and Yale.
- Fellowship prep – Program directors and teaching chiefs organize lectures and how-to sessions, conduct mock interviews and help with CVs and personal statements. Renowned research facilities – Funding from the NIH places the hospitals of NorthShore University HealthSystem among the top 10 multi-specialty independent research hospitals in the country and number one in the state. Our renowned Research Institute has 1,200-plus active research projects and a large number of investigators pursuing a broad range of subjects. Over $100 million in grants support the Research Institute.
- Research opportunities – Opportunities in Evanston and Hyde Park to study in areas including oncology, cardiology, gastroenterology, medical genetics, neurosciences and advanced imaging research.
- Training and publishing – Residents on the fellowship track are allowed up to three months of research training blocks over three years. The department also sponsors travel expenses up to $1,000 per resident for presentation of a categorical resident’s scholarly work at a national meeting.
The fellowship program I’m going into is a powerhouse and I wouldn’t have been able to do that without the experience I’ve had and the connections I’ve made here. ~Dr. Derek Larson, Chief Resident