Program Directors and Chairman of Medicine from left to right: Shashi Bellam, MD, William Seiden, MD, Theodore Mazzone, MD, Liza Icayan, MD and Jacqueline Ivey-Brown, MD
Thank you for your interest in NorthShore University HealthSystem and our Residency Programs.
We believe we are an institution like no other. Here you will find a stimulating, academically rigorous environment in the kind of collegial, resident-focused setting you’d expect in a community program. And you’ll receive hands-on, personalized attention to your career from staff and faculty who are invested in your success.
Among the many desirable qualities we have to offer:
- Academic affiliation. NorthShore University HealthSystem is an academic health system affiliated with University of Chicago's Pritzker School of Medicine. As a teaching hospital, we are part of an integrated, multi-hospital healthcare system. Whether you are seeking a categorical, preliminary or transitional internship, you’ll find a rich mix of clinical experiences and career-building learning opportunities.
- State-of-the-art technology – As one of the nation’s 100 Most Wired and 25 Most Wireless healthcare systems, we utilize a completely electronic medical information system (Epic). Our simulator lab features full-size human simulators for practicing “code-blue” scenarios and models for performing common procedures.
- Diverse patient base. We serve a diverse patient population covering more than 50 zip codes in Northern Metropolitan Chicago, representing a broad ethnic, socioeconomic and demographic spectrum, providing a broad base of real-world experience.
- Fellowship matching. If you are interested in pursuing a sub-specialty, we have an excellent track record of matching residents with the most desirable and competitive fellowship programs in the nation. Each year, two thirds or more of our graduates continue into traditional sub-specialty medicine.
- Research opportunities. As one of the nation’s top research hospitals, we offer abundant opportunities to work side-by-side with faculty who are pioneering some of the most exciting, cutting-edge clinical research happening today.
- Career opportunities. If Internal Medicine is your goal, you’ll get solid training in both the art and the science of medicine from distinguished faculty; and attendings. Many find that this is the place to continue their career, joining our nationally recognized NorthShore University HealthSystem Medical Group, one of the largest multi-specialty groups in the country. And those who go on to other specialties or fellowships often return to join our faculty.
- Resident-focused. You’ll enjoy a true, resident-focused environment that allows you to concentrate on learning, patient care and building your career. That means scheduling to fit your career goals, superior benefits, fewer hassles and an open atmosphere where house staff, attendings and faculty interact as colleagues.
We look forward to meeting you at your interview visit, telling you more about all we have to offer and answering any questions you have.