Salary and Benefits
Residents receive an extensive range of benefits through the University of Chicago Hospitals. The following is a brief outline of some of the currently available benefits for the University of Chicago (NorthShore) Internal Medicine/Preliminary Year/Transitional Year Residents.
Current Available Benefits
- Health Insurance - House officers may choose from one of three health plans. The current cost for these plans varies from $0 to $105.30 per month for single coverage and $124.89 to $192.17 for family coverage.
- Dental Insurance - This managed-care plan provides comprehensive dental benefits to house officers through a network of private practice dentists. The plan allows house officers the option of enrolling in either a DMO or PPO plan. Coverage is free for a house officer choosing single coverage in the DMO plan. Monthly coverage for the PPO plan ranges from $12.72 - $56.69.
- Vision Service Plan - (Optional) Provides a full range of coverage available through participating and non-participating providers.
- Flexible Spending Accounts - (Optional) Offers the opportunity to pay for certain anticipated non-covered health and/or dependent care costs on a pre-tax basis.
- Life Insurance - A variety of options - free for $20,000 of coverage.
- Long-Term Disability - No cost to residents.
- Vacation - Four weeks paid per year.
- Sick Leave - Five days paid per year.
- Medical Leave - Four weeks paid for medical or maternity purposes.
- Competitive salaries - For the University of Chicago 2012-2013 Academic Year:
- Tuition remission - House staff spouses, domestic partners and unmarried dependent children quality for tuition remission (one-half the full tuition) at any University of Chicago school.
Additional University of Chicago Benefits
- Workers' compensation
- Supplemental retirement annuities
- Employee assistance program, Family Medical Leave Act, leave of absence, funeral leave, educational meeting leave
- Lab coats
$100 allowance toward purchase of MKSAP or Med Study for all Internal Medicine categorical trainees
Individual subscription to Up-To-Date for each trainee
Internal Medicine categorical house staff may receive reimbursement up to $1000 for program approved travel related to presentations at national meetings
Free parking at both Evanston, Glenbrook, and Skokie hospitals
Daily lunch/meals provided for hospital rotations
More information about benefits will be provided to house officers during orientation. If you need assistance before then, please call the office of housestaff affairs at 773.702.6760.