A stimulating academic environment combined with practical, real-world experience.
- Academic affiliation – A teaching hospital of The University of Chicago's Pritzker School of Medicine and ranked among the nation's Top Five major teaching hospitals.
- Integrated system – Part of a nationally recognized, multi-hospital healthcare system offering a rich mix of clinical experiences and career-building learning opportunities.
- Diverse patient base – Serving a diverse patient population covering more than 50 zip codes in Northern Metropolitan Chicago and representing a broad ethnic, socioeconomic and demographic spectrum, including a large number of underserved patients.
- Rigorous curriculum – Exceeding the established criteria for graduate medical education, and offering a full slate of learning opportunities, from conferences to morning reports to grand rounds.
- Dedicated teaching faculty – Renowned teaching faculty; are full-time clinicians who take the time to teach and promote an active learning environment. That environment extends from the top down. Program Director Dr. Liza Icayan has been honored by the house staff as Internist of the Year.
- Cutting-edge research – Work side-by-side with some of the nation's best and brightest physician-scientists who are advancing medical research and bringing new therapies to patients who need them most.
- State-of-the-art simulators – Our 13,000 square foot lab features both medical and surgical simulator facilities. The center is used to teach procedural skills in a variety of areas. A partial list includes: non-invasive airway management, endotracheal intubation, surgical airways, difficult airway adjuncts, cardiac defibrillation and pacing, tube thoracostomy, central line placement, intravenous and intraosseous initiation, drug administration, lumbar puncture, birthing, and ultrasound. This is in addition to utilizing simulators for “code-blue” scenarios and teamwork training. Our cardiac patient simulator can recreate 26 cardiovascular conditions and more than 40 heart abnormalities.
- Dedicated attendings – By combining teaching and patient management with both our hospitalists and our private attendings, we offer residents a rich learning environment that helps them become more well-rounded physicians and better prepares them for the real-life practice of medicine.
- Independence and autonomy – Working closely with supervising attendings, residents lead the management of their patients and write all orders, gaining invaluable hands-on experience.
- Collegial environment – An atmosphere of support, respect and camaraderie advances learning and growth. Residents feel free to ask questions and make recommendations. Attendings are approachable, encourage dialogue and enjoy teaching.
This is a vibrant, aggressive learning environment – not only with lectures but through daily interactions with sub-specialists and hospitalists who are very evidence-based driven. ~Dr. Samit Shah, Categorical Resident
The patients I see at NorthShore are a diverse mix of bread and butter medicine and complex patients with multisystem disease. ~Dr. David Chan, Chief Resident